Back from travel

iVillage Member
Back from travel
Tue, 05-06-2003 - 2:46pm
I wish I had better news on the financial front, but sadly we were slammed this past month. Both boys need braces and other costly dental work total amount for both $6700. We had to pay health insurance $460 and a bunch of other little charges. I ended up opening a new 0% cc {{I know - I'm dunking my head here}} and transferred a total of $7680. My total cc debt increased from $13K to $17 and this only includes one of the boys braces. Still trying to figure out how I am going to pay for the child's! OY!!!

Anyway, DH is now employed and although it is less than he was making, he is getting some overtime the next few weeks and our previous tenent, who owes us money, is getting our $$ attached to his wages so that should bring in about $150 more each month at least for a while. Funny how things work out that is about the amount that the dentist's monthly bill will be minus the $1100 down payment that we do not have!

I've decided to make some drastic changes. I have finally put ourselves on a budget. $100 for groceries, $30 for me, $50 for DH (includes $$ for gas) and $20 for kids weekly allowance. Whatever is left over each week goes into our change jar and at the end of the month it will be snowflaked. I would snowflake weekly, but as this is a new thing for us - I am trying to avoid having to hit the ATM for $$. CC have been removed from our wallets and hidden in a dresser drawer.

I think DH finally understands the seriousnes of our situation and is agreeing to everything I suggest. On a positive note, I should be getting my raise this Friday, we are still due a state refund check and we may be entitiled up to $2400 in dental insurance, but until I receive that insurance $$ I am planning on paying the full amount. I also have my travel $$ and still 2 more trips this month so that will be a little more extra $$. I did get to pretend to live the good life on my one trip - my rental car was a convertible! That was fun while it last.

Well I am off to finish reading everyone's posts ( I only have about 2 weeks worth!).

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-06-2003 - 2:50pm
Welcome back! I must say - I'm impressed :) You've got your financial "picture" in crisp focus. I'm so happy to read that your dh gets it and is cooperating with you.

I hope you get your refund check soon - and I REALLY hope you get that dental ins $. It's astounding how expensive braces are.

All my best,

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-06-2003 - 3:10pm
I'm trying to not feel so overwhelmed and plan for more expenses. Last year we had planned a vacation with family and there is no way to get out of it and no $$ for it! I refuse to charge it so I am trying to hold onto our small savings for the trip.

Today I had to go to the bank and usually I grab some fast food for lunch when I make the bank trip - but not today! I'm sitting here finishing my water (I fill a bottle in the morning, stick it in the freezer and when my coffee I bring from home is empty I pull out my water) and my jello. Not glamorous but I am determined to get 2 of my 3 0% cc paid off by January. Okay, I know this is unrealistic - but I can dream can't I???

At least I didn't run away like the first time I posted on this board :)