Car Insurance

iVillage Member
Car Insurance
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 2:39pm
Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before. I just got my new quote for my car insurance and even though we went from 2 tickets to 1, my rate went up $270 for the six months of the policy. I'm not positive, but I'm guessing because they ran my credit report. Does anyone know a good car insurance company I can get a quote from? My current insurance is through EMC and I've had Progressive and I can't stand them. Thanks in advance.
iVillage Member
In reply to: sickdawgs
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 3:40pm
Even though you don't like Progressive you might still go to their website.

They give you competing quotes. Or try insweb.com

For us State Farm was much cheaper than

Progressive. And then Kemper (http://www.ekemper.com/)

was much cheaper than State Farm.

We went from paying $750 a year to paying $500 (two vehicles, one a 1985, one a 1995).

They do require a small downpayment (I think for us it was $100) but that makes

the monthly payment even lower. We're paying $44 a month.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 3:49pm
Get a free quote from Amica - a very reputable insurance company that advertises mainly by word of mouth and offers reasonable rates. I've been with them over 2 years and though I've never had to make a claim, their customer service has been excellent and they are always willing to work with you and answer questions. Info at http://www.amica.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 4:05pm
Allstate saved us about $100 a month! I could not believe it. We were paying $1500 every 6 months for two cars (both 2001), then we got married and DH turned 25 but our old co didnt really lower our rates, and I hated their customer service anyway. So, I called Allstate and they quoted me $800 every 6 months!! plus we saved on switching our home insurance to them too.

My advice would be to call pretty much everyone - it is such a pain but for some reason everyone seems to get a good deal with a different company - for me progressive wanted like $2000 every 6 months, but other people I know say they were the cheapest. So you really just have to call them all - oh and you can get quotes online but I found they are not really accurate.

Megan