Darn Post Office

iVillage Member
Darn Post Office
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 4:50pm
Just a little venting... I work from home as an on-line tutor and the company mails me a check every other week. Well, my last one was mailed out on the 25th and I have not recieved it yet. I talked to the company, but they don't know what happened. Luckily, they are sending another FedEx. But do you have any idea what that does to a budget? I paid bills with that missing check, counting on it to be here. Now I'm sweating bullets about the race to the bank. Who will win? The rent check or paycheck? UGH!! Of course, the solution would be... don't live paycheck to paycheck. I'm trying not too, but...we moved recently (forgot how expensive that is) and we are playing catch up. Ok, breathe. A bounced check isn't the end of the world, right?! Just more money out that I hadn't budgeted for. Geez!!

Thanks for listing!

lori

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 5:07pm
Are you able to apply for a Line of Credit (LOC) on your checking account? They recommend a LOC that could cover the biggest bill you have in the month, say a LOC that would cover your rent check. There's an interest rate set for the time it's in the LOC, but it's cheaper than a Non-Sufficient Fund letter and won't affect your credit. That could save you some worry and money if you have a situation happen as unfortunate as this one. Just a thought.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 11:39pm
Have you looked into direct deposit of your paycheck into your checking account? It's a real time saver and doesn't rely on snail mail. I don't know how I'd survive without it!

KC

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 11:59pm
thanks for everyone's suggestions. I love direct deposit, but no they don't do it. Neither does DH's job. UGH!! Could get over-draft protection if they did. Oh, well. The snail mail is all i have.
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 11:20am
I work for the post office. Im still in training though. If you dont mind me suggesting maybe the company that sent you this check can send it certified mail with a signature confirmation as this is the 1 of the most secure ways you know you will get it but, you have to be home to sign for it. I know this is 1 of the things us carriers can get fired for if we fail to get a signature or loose it. Registered Certified letters are very important too. Just an idea if you company can send it that way! I also get a bunch of mail with the number turned around. So let say I have a letter for Mr Simmons at 4163 e. 3000 but,his correct address is 4136 E. 3000. Do you think the company could have made a mistake with your address. Cause we get alot of address turned around like that and me being new and tryen to figure it out is hectic. Sometimes in some cases if the address is turned around but, a different name on the envelope we have to forward the letter back or I ask my supervisor what to do. Until we get computers to sort the mail for our routes we have to and it takes 2-3hrs for us to sort it! Days when we get newspapers and mags it takes longer. Cause when we round back to the post office we still have mags to sort and by the time we get back to work the next morning we have piles more to sort out before we can case the mail..lol Maybe the carrier made a mistake and delivered your check to the wrong address or possible a neighbor. Yes, I have did that and not on purpose but,we do make mistakes in training. And, usually if the person is honest they will leave it in the mailbox and stick the flag up..it would be to much trouble to walk over to your house and give you your mail..thats are job.Possible you have a sub or new carrier? Im sorry this happened to you.

TrishAnn
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 12:54pm
Does your financial institution not offer you a Line of Credit or overdraft protection without direct deposit? How odd. I would look into other institutions if you can. Find out if there's a Credit Union you could qualify to join. They are just much better places than banks, and can save money on checking accounts etc. Just an idea. best of luck with this.
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 1:22pm
Thanks for everyone's suggestion. The co ended up sending another check overnight. Yeah! Got it today, but unfortunately, too late. 2 checks NSF. Ugh!! But, I already contacted the necessary people and they were glad I notified and lessen some of the fees. So, this little lesson costed my $85 in total fees (bank and vendors). Budgeting nightmare. I had overdraft protection once, but I misused it very badily (in fact it's one of many accounts being paid through CCCS). I didn't know anything about the line of credit, though. I'll look into that. Thanks!!