Cancel a credit card

iVillage Member
Cancel a credit card
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 4:04pm
Can u believe? I got a bill in the mail from a ccc. It was a cc that i don't have, I obviously have never used. On top of that, they were billing me a $55 annual fee. First of all, I never apply for a cc w/an annual fee. I called them up and canceled. I asked them to send me a letter verifying that it was canceled by me. They waived the annual fee.

That was my minor dilema today. However, all taken care of.

MYM

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 7:02pm
Exactly why we don't just throw out all our junk mail. Anything like a credit card application goes through the shredder or into the fireplace, never to the curb!

On the funnier side, my sister got a letter from her CC company one day, offering their condolences to her family on her recent death. They were making an offer to settle the account. LOL! Seems someone got her CC bill out of the mailbox, wrote "Deceased" on it, and sent it back.

You just never know - be careful with your incoming as well as outgoing mail.

Msfit

&nbs

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 8:39pm
Be sure to double-check when said letter comes. I had a similar thing happen a few years back, I received a bill for a credit card I had never applied for, which included an "opening fee", a "membership fee" and something else... all this for a "Gold" card with a $200 limit and 21% APR. WHATEVER! I quickly called to complain and have the account closed, all charges removed, etc. They told me it was all taken care of and I would receive a statement next month with a zero balance. So, next month I received another bill with the another monthly membership fee, finance charges on the previous fees, and $30 fee for non-payment! Can you believe the audacity! All told it took 4 months to get this nonsense cleared up.

I hope your luck with this will be better than mine! Just wanted to give you the heads-up b/c your story sounded too familiar LOL!

Good luck ~Jen =)

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 9:14pm
This sounds like a scam to me. I saw a program on tv/read a story in a magazine about con artists (basically) who offer "credit" cards--mainly to people who wouldn't otherwise qualify for a regular bank issue credit card. They charged all sorts of membership fees, huge annual interest rate, and low credit limit. The outfit was totally illegitimate and a complete scam preying on desperate people. Just wanted to share that I had heard about this--shows that not everything that looks like a credit card is actually from a reputable company.

R.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 9:46pm
I've heard stuff like that... actually in my case, it was Capital One. I will nevermore think of them as, like you said, a "reputable company". These days I send all their junk mail back to them in the postage-paid envelope... along with other assorted junk mail while I'm at it. Carefully removing all identifiers, of course. Other times I send just the offer back with fat black marker "Take me off your list!" They still send me terrible offers 2-4x a month. ;-)
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 9:14pm
Sending their junk mail back in the postage paid envelopes is BRILLIANT!! Thanks! I am going to do that...and I think on some of them I just may write "deceased"--hopefully that would speed up the process of getting me off their lists! thanks.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 8:32am
kinda the same thing happened to me yesterday!! grrrrr. We had the internet service we'll call A some years back. To open the account they needed a cc and we had one that was actually a debit. Yesterday (and this has happend 3-4 other times), there was a charge for internet service. UGH!! So I called them and told them the situation. They said it was an active acct and maybe my husband is using it behind my back. "They don't know me too well, do they?!" I ended up having my husband call, which they tried to tell them I used it behind his back. UGH!! So, he got it cancelled AGAIN, refunded of the money. I guess we'll have to report his card lost/stolen so they will quick this. FUSTRATING!!!
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 11:34am
Just a thought that my mom and I have learned. You might want to check your credit report, someone might have your info and is applying for things that you don't know about.

My mom found out on her credit report that someone had used her SS# to set up an account with the local gas company.

Good luck

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-19-2003 - 6:39am
i kote,

thanks for the suggestion. I review my credit report every april. This year everything looked find on it.

MYM