Games with long distance companies

iVillage Member
Games with long distance companies
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 9:19am
So does anyone play those "come back to us" games with the long distance companies?

It goes like this: Change your long distance service from Company A to Company B - because Co.B offers a better deal. Within a few weeks, Co.A calls to offer me a $50 credit on my account and free Blockbuster rentals if I'll change back. I do. Soon, Co.B sends me a check in the mail for $75 (not a credit, just free money) - which by signing mans I'm switching back. So I sign it, get the cash, and switch back. Now Co.A sends me a check for $100.... And so it goes.

Now, the most interesting point is that our long distance bills rarely go over $20 a month - and haven't for many years. I played this game with them for a few months once - getting free long distance and extra cash in my pocket, but the guilt caught up to me and I stopped. The checks keep coming - I have two in front of me right now - Co.A, one for $70 and another for $75, and Co.A tells me I have a $160 credit on my account if I'll switch back. I don't understand why they want my business so bad!

Anyone else struggle with this issue?

Msfit

&nbs

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 11:04am
I admit I've done this in the past. Now it's just too much of a hassle :) We've got a great deal going with our current carrier, so we're happy!

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 4:56pm
this has never happened to me, but I would love to be on the list where they send you real checks! One of my coworkers was getting a $75 check 2 or 3 times a year from AT&T, and just by cashing the check giving them permission to switch her long distance, the kicker is she has never had any other long distance carrier other than AT&T. She hasn't gotten any in a couple of years now, but she probably got $500 from them, and they never asked for it back. It was their mistake, I guess and she always felt bad cashing them, thinking that they would bill her once the discovered the mistake, but it never happened. I know its totally dishonest when you take the money knowing theres nothing to switch, but you are actually switching, so I say as long as they are crazy enough to offer you these awesome deals, keep taking them!