National Credit Shopper - HELP!

iVillage Member
National Credit Shopper - HELP!
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 2:37pm
Just wondering if any of you have ever dealt with this organization? I never have, personally, but they screwed my BF out of nearly $780 a few years ago. I have heard there was a class action law suit against them - but don't know any more than that. They are one of those 'secured' credit companies - you give them permission to debit your checking account for $199 - and promise you a credit card. Well, the 'credit card' is THEIR card (not MC or AMEX or Visa) and you can only use it to buy JUNK from their 'catalog'. They also use a TON of aliases and 'latch' on to your checking acct and debit you for MORE things that they CLAIM you agreed to upon signing up. They overdrew my BF's account, and by the time it was all said and done, he owed the bank nearly $800...

Anyone know anything I can do to help him recoup his money?

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 6:41pm
Hi sweetie. Your question is a good one for our Debt Q&A board.

I'm sorry your boyfriend has gotten himself in this mess. I'm not meaning to sound harsh, but everything you posted was in the documentation he got before applying for the secured card. :o( Your boyfriend needs to look at that documentation again. Then talk to customer service for his secured account. If he agreed to these debits, even if he wasn't paying attention to what he was agreeing to, then he's stuck. You're wonderful for helping him through this. Ask him to post on Debt Q&A for feedback.

CM Ms Joe Cool

Senior Community Moderator

moneylifecm@mail.ivillage.com

Ms Joe
CM Ms Joe Cool
Senior Community Moderator
moneylifecm@mail