Family sabotaging me!

iVillage Member
Family sabotaging me!
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 9:48am
My husband and I started "snowflaking" about a year and a half ago. We have everything paid off except our house and his car. We are living financially comfortable right now, no stress. We refuse to use credit cards or get a loan for anything. This, however, is causing some problems/confusion on my side of the family.

I told my sister I wanted to pay my house off early, within the next five years (we owe 25 years). She said I shouldn't do that because the interest was so low - she said remodel the house first, then pay it off. I told her if I paid it off early, I would probably save over $50,000.00 in interest!! She didn't say anything.

I need a new car desperately and am saving money for one. I should have enough to pay for one with cash by early winter. My mother keeps hounding me telling me I should finance one. I said "What happens if I finance a car and I get hurt and can't work, or my husband gets hurt and can't work? Who will pay for it?" Of course there was no answer.

I'm not surprised about my sister, she lives check to check and has no money left at the end of the month for anything - she is overfinanced. My mother though I am really surprised about. She has never used credit for anything besides her house and that is paid off.

UGHHHH - why do people keep hounding me to charge everything!!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 10:21am
For the most part i think people do that b/c they know deep down they know they shouldn't be financing themselves into poverty but if "everyone's doing it" it helps them relieve guilt for their own money mismanagement. keep your head on the straight and narrow...it brings peace!!! i've been working on my debt for about 1 1/2 years now...can't wait to be debt free. and i even lost 20 pounds during this time...it's amazing what destressing your life can do.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 10:35am
My sister is the same way. She does not understand why I am waiting to add on to my house. She doesn't understand that I have financial goals that I want to meet first. She's the type that never waits for anything. She just puts things on cc's or re-re-re-re-finances her house. Well, call me crazy, but I would rather pay for things before using them than still paying on one sofa 10 years later!!!

As far as your mom is concerned, I think she is just worried about your safety. Maybe when you say you desperately need a new car, she has images of you riding around in a death-trap. Moms have a tendency to think like that. She just wants you in a better vehicle ASAP. I'm sure she meant nothing else by it. Good Luck!!!