fell of the wagon

iVillage Member
fell of the wagon
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 6:49pm
Okay...i was being good most of the month...I only at out twice and spent about $8 both times. Today, I was bad, I went to lunch with my friend and it was my turn to pay, so lunch came out to $18 for both, that wasn't the bad part. I accompanied her to the store and ended up buying a shirt for $16 and put that on the CC. DAMNIT! Then came back to my desk and was checking my e-mail and what pops up but a great deal to DC, where my bf lives (I live in So. CA). So $211 later, I am going to DC in a couple months! Why O' Why do I keep spending. I was doing so well! Back on the budget wagon I go. Just made my payment on my CC, so no more money to spend for the month. Thanks for listening to me ramble on and on.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 10:21pm
Suze Orman said it best: "Budgets are like diets. You are going to fall off the diet sooner or later."

I think the key is to allow yourself a little leeway - plan for your splurges - so they are more manageable, less expensive, and more likely to keep you on the budget if you know you can cheat once in a while.

You will recover. Best of luck to you.

Msfit

&nbs

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-17-2003 - 8:57am
Happens to all of us, but the key is that you are *aware* of it now and can try to do better next time around (or now adjust your budget to include a little "free* money that you can spend without feeling guilty).

I've fallen down about a zillion times but I keep trying. :)

Becky

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-19-2003 - 12:15pm
Me too! I think I fell harder than you this weekend. DH and I are planning to start going camping, starting this coming weekend. So naturally we needed supplies. Well long story short, we went to REI and spent $700 on 'stuff'. I wanted to cry, I almost did. But I kept thinking 'we really needed this stuff to go camping, and in the long run this will be economical' plus I know you know this is coming ... it was ON SALE.

So now I dont feel so bad about it becuase the large part of it was backpacks - the internal frame kind for weekend backpacking trips, and you really can't get them cheap anywhere. Plus that was pretty much DH's fault he picked out the one he wanted it was $199 on sale from $279. So becuase he wanted the big expensive one I got the cheapest one, $69. so I felt better about that compromise. And I did need some clothes for the trip since I basically dont fit in anything that I own now except the clothes I where everyday, and I didnt want to wear them and maybe ruin them. Ok, I know I am rationalizing here. Basically what this means is, there goes our tax return. :(

Anyway, I agree with the other posts. Everybody falls off sometimes, you just need to renew resolve to get back on! Once we have all the stuff for this trip, I am going on a strict budget to try to make up for some of it. No more eating out, no more shopping of any kind - lol!

Meg