Your Next Door Neighbors

iVillage Member
Your Next Door Neighbors
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 7:09pm
Hello. I just was reading and going to be watching a news clip on bill collectors being able to contact your neighbors on your past due amounts. Basically invading your neighbors with your problems. Now I have started to work on my bills but it is hard and I have not call everyone yet. I thought it was an invadsion of privacy?? I don't want people to know what the deal is at my house. It makes me soo angry what they are doing. I can somewhat understand if they ask if so and so live here(hopefully that is all they are going to do)but stating balances/days and what they are for. Outragous. It almost makes me want to get a po box so they don't find me. this kind of feeling makes me want to hide even more. I am working with a counslor and fanny mae on a house and what i need to do but still. give me breathing room people. thanks for letting me vent. i will let you guys/gals know what that news story is and report back. poetryinc@yahoo.com--
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-16-2003 - 7:24pm
here is the newscast. it is minnesota channel 5 kstp,website www.kstp.com

Sunday: Bill collectors making your business everyone elses

Updated: 05-15-2003 03:47:42 PM

It's outrageous! It's embarrassing! But is it legal? Now, if you're late paying your bills, a collector may make your business everyone elses. How? They'll call your neighbors! Watch Channel 5 Eyewitness News this Sunday at ten.

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-17-2003 - 8:54am
Hmmm...I don't think that's legal in Illinois. They may be able to call them and say "there is an emergency" and ask you to pass along the phone number, etc... but they can't tell you what it's about.

I'm fairly sure that's the case because I did at one point get a call regarding my FIL, like that and when I pressed them as to "umm...what's the emergency?" they wouldn't tell me nor really tell me who they were (I actually thought it was funny because my FIL is in prison and this person was asking if I could call him or if I had his phone number, etc... so I *KNEW* it wasn't a true emergency that happened at the prison or anything and besides that, they would identify themselves...these people wouldn't say who they were, so for all I knew they were scam artists. Just told them I would pass the message along the next time I talked with him LOL!!! I think they were surprised when I didn't give them any information...was *really* tempted to say "go ahead and try to call him, he's in prison, they can't get incoming calls" LOL!!!). Later I found out via SIL (she was the one dealing with the bills when everything first happened) that it was something to do with a bill collection.

So, I think at least here in Illinois, they can't give out the information to neighbors, etc... They could try to call them to get information and use the ruse of an *emergency*.

Becky

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-18-2003 - 11:29pm
It is legal here in minnesota. I am very angry about this. But oh well what can we do. I am start telling my bill collectors where to go. I am very mad at this. I don't think this is right and I hope that the House of Reps does something about it. I feel like that is my private life and nobody should stick there nose into it. thanx for letting me vent.

trish

poetryinc