Debt/clutter relationship??

iVillage Member
Debt/clutter relationship??
Mon, 05-19-2003 - 8:50pm
I think there is a direct correlation between my debt and my clutter! I finally starting chipping away at both problems and I feel so much better. Just wondering if anyone here also has noticed the same thing, or feels differently. I know someone else here FLY's, I just can't remember who, well I am a FLYbaby, and my home *feels* better, and I feel like I have so much more control over my finances (or lack of - ha ha ha) and I think letting go of stuff has helped!

At the very least, the fact that I found 4 rolls of scotch tape will save me money since it will be years before I go through that much!!

I would love to hear your thought, opinions....

Rebecca

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 12:35am
Scotch tape? you have scotch tape? I know I have about ten rolls of it stashed around the house, but beats me if I can find a single roll. Maybe there's one lurking there under that pile of junk mail..... Oh wait, what's this? I thought I paid that bill months ago! Dam.

Now if I could just remember where I put those extra stamps...

&nbs

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 8:46am
I'm not a FLY person (I would keel over before I could follow that regime) but I have heard many times that people feel there is a correlation. I'm definately a clutter bug but have always had more control over the money than the clutter (you wouldn't believe how much clutter school paperwork can cause!!! LOL!!!! A lot of my clutter *is* paperwork stuff all over - can't get rid of it just yet but don't need it right now either, so it gets all over).

Becky

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 11:07am
HI Rebecca,

I'm a FLYbaby too, in Northern Massachusetts. And it's true, whenever I'm trying to fill that hole in my soul, I sometimes head to a clothing store, or shop online. What I really need to do is fill the hole with love, from myself, or God, or whatever works.

I also post on the Compulsive Spenders board for this very reason. Not loving myself led to compulsive shopping which led to debt. And a crazy ex-husband thrown into the mix didn't help matters any ;-)

Now I'm journaling often, and keeping a gratitude list, and with every de-clutter I feel more and more free.

I'm reading "Your Money or Your Life" right now, and just got to the part where they talk about taking an inventory of your belongings. Often just knowing how much we really do have keeps us from thinking we 'need' more.

A funny thing happened on the train on the way to work this morning. I sat down in the seat, and the graffiti on the seat in front of me said "I 'heart' STUFF". Isn't that funny?

Have a great day,

Lee Ann

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 11:22am
flybaby here too. I used to be extremely organized both at home and with money (was accountant before becoming SAHM!), had two kids 1.5 years apart and life seemed to go nuts. Thankfully I found Mary Hunt and Flylady at about the same time. To top it off, our house has been undergoing renovations for 3 years. DIY stuff that takes forever because of children around, and adds to the chaos and clutter. Someday we will be sane again, in the meantime the flylady routines and fling boogies keep total insanity at bay :)
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 12:10pm
What does FLY mean?

Meg

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 1:14pm
It's from Flylady.net, a site that gets your organized and gets your house uncluttered and clean all the time. flylady was the site creator's online nick and it stuck... someone else has since coined it as meaning "finally loving yourself" as well.
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 1:57pm
I used to FLY. I'm with Becky on this one. I just couldn't keep up with it. LOL! But I think it's got great potential!

I have to say I have much more control over my money than I do my clutter. My clutter's getting better... as is my financial situation. Maybe there is a corelation. :-)

Although it has been a bad month... dh found, and USED, his credit card. I suddenly find myself back $500. I want to kill him. (figuratively speaking of course).

Sharon

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 2:17pm
Definitely! I'm not a FLYbaby but I do some of the routines now and again and it feels good when I get an area organized. I think a lot of the reason I got so far in debt was just not being organized with my finances. And you really do need to get organized, to get out of debt.

I've done a lot with my money strategy recently, and I get a huge rush out of it! My apartment is in a perpetual state of CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) and every so often I'll get on a cleaning rush and that feels good too! Last night I did 4 loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen counter, floor, and walls, folded ALL the laundry and put it away. What a huge difference it makes! I usually have PILES of "clean enough to wear again" clothes - you know, the stuff that requires hand-washing and is a pain in the butt. Well, duh, if it's clean enough to wear again, it's clean enough to get put away! What a revelation LOL!

I personally believe it's true - if you want to invite abundance into your life, you have to make room for it! Getting rid of STUFF you no longer (or never did) need, is a great way to do just that.

~Jen

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 2:55pm
I don't do ALL the stuff, but there is some great stuff there, my mornings go much smother now. Plus the site is really geared towards SAHM's, but I have learned a lot. Adding to my scotch tape tally, I found three old pairs of sunglasses! Now I have 5 pair...it isn't even that sunny where I live...

R

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 6:59pm
I have been flying since January, 2002. It is very slow going for me but I love it. I tell everybody about it. I understand that some folks just don't like the system. I have a morning and evening routine. I follow her plan for laundry and have been 27 Fling Boogie-ing at least once a week since I started.

For me her funny emails and her plan help me stay above the depression. Somebody called it a regime and I understand if she did not like it. I don't think it is too fair to call it a regime because she is really mild and keeps making the point that any little bit you do gets you in a better place.

I think Marla is funny and she persuades me to do things that need to get done and get a kick out of it. My home is much, much cleaner. I am now not ashamed to have people drop into my home. I can find things and have room to put things away. I feel good about giving away a lot of stuff to people who can use it.

I found out about Fly Lady on Mary Hunt's website, www.cheapskatemonthly.com

Just my story. Everybody likes something different.

cl-12by10

Pages