I'm so done (m)

iVillage Member
I'm so done (m)
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 9:16am
I just can't do it anymore, i'm so tired and depressed and I just can't go on, what's the point anyway? I got up this morning to check my bank acct. and was surprised to see two NSF on there. I called the bank to see what was going on and was told by some snotty bimbo that the other fee was for taking out more than $100 (see when you make a check deposit only $100 of your money is available and if you take more than $100 of "your" money out it is considered a NSF, now I didn't know this because had I known that I would be charged $33 for taking my money out of the bank I would not have done it, she tells me well, it came out on the November or December statements, maybe it did but, I didn't see it, or maybe I didn't read my statement good enough. So now of course you know i'm going to have more NSF fees because I didn't expect them to take out that money, i'm just hoping it's not the checks my DH wrote to get our e-check and tags with. I do plan to close out this acct. as soon as the rest of our checks clear this week.
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 10:01am
Toni,

Don't be done! Some of these banks are jerks. I would call back and speak to Ms. Bimbo's boss, and see if there is something they can do to waive these fees for you. If this is a new policy, I am sure others are having problems as well. If this doesn't work, close your account and let them know why. I belong to a community credit union and I swear up and down by it. The people are way friendlier because it isn't some mega-bank chain. I had fraud committed against my checking account and they went above and beyond the call of duty. I could do a commercial for them, ha ha. Plus there fees are resonable. NSF's are still $30, but they don't have as many crazy rules about having a minimum balance or per check fees, it is free up to 25 checks written a month! Check out credit unions in your area.

In the meantime, have a cup of tea, or whatever calms you and realize that money isn't the most important thing in our lives, our health and loved ones are, and we will all get through this!

Rebecca

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 10:58am
Hang in there Toni,

It's just a matter of time before things turn around for you. It could be quickly, you never know. If you're doing the right things, the right things will happen.

You're trying to manage your money, and not incur new debt, and this is one of those 'two steps forward, one step back'. Stick with it, you'll come out ahead in the long (or hopefully short) run.

Chin up! Keep your eyes on the prize (being debt free and in control of your finances).

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 11:25am
Hang in there!!

I agree with what the others have said and I agree that I would definately close that out and tell them exactly WHY you are closing out the account, unless people uproar they will do all sorts of things. I remember when they first decided to charge for seeing a teller...the backlash that it had definately changed those policies. I don't know of any bank around here that charges you to see a teller (a few do have *special* accounts that are all electronic and if you open one of those accounts there is a fee but in general it failed around here).

Becky

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 1:33pm
there must be something in the air, b/c I'm done too. It's just fustrating. it seems like just when you think things are going to turn around, BAM, more money out the window. Sometimes I feel like the rest of my life is going to be like this. I know that's not reasonable, but UGH!! AT 32, I would like to buy a house, have a child, etc. Instead, I'm scrimping by, not enough money $$ to go grocery shopping until payday. I've had the BIG bank and never in my life, had I bounced so many checks. The deposit would be there, but they wouldn't credit it until midnight the FOLLOWING day. Now, the checks were deducted right then and there. very fustrating. I know it's a royal pain in the a**, but i would switch. THere are too many banks competing for your business, so move on. Thanks for all the replies to Toni's post. They made me feel better!! :)
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 4:21pm
Toni - You need to close that bank account, but before you do see if you are eligible for a credit union. I agree with the previous post about this. A community credit union will allow people who live in certain areas to join, or you can see if you are eligible for a federal credit union. Not everybody can join a credit union and enjoy the lower rates, but I know that the commission that governs them is expanding areas and making them more accessible to people. Check to see if you are able to qualify for one. I have a credit union account. An NSF is $20(though I have a Line Of Credit), there is unlimited check writing (no penalties at all) and checks are free if you have direct deposit. That fee sounds like daylight robbery. How long did they tell you it would take to clear the check? Did your payment come out before your deposit cleared? Did anyone at the branch, when you made the deposit, remind you about the new policy? Were there signs in the bank by the tellers reminding you of these changes? I believe you have a case to have your fees returned to you. Don't take the first persons answer. They will do anything to not return the fees to you, they're a bank. You need to speak to a decision maker. You need to let them know that you were not aware of the policy change, and it was not reiterated by their employees. Give them a fight. If they still refuse, find a new institution and when you go to close the account have the pleasure of telling them they have a lousy service and you are happy you won't need to keep your money there. Banks treat customers badly everywhere, so don't let them get you down. Just find a better place to house your money, so you're not making their shareholders rich. Don't give up.
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 8:23pm
Toni - I agree with other posters that there are too many banks competing for your business - dump these jerks!

I know that from time to time I've messed up and didn't have money to cover certain checks - but as far as I'm concerned...it is their customer service department's JOB to explain what happened to me without my feeling belittled, dishonest, or made fun of. Whether the error is your error or the bank's error (or - as is usually the case - your error based on how the sleazy bank credits and debits accounts) - customer service should help you walk away better informed and delighted to has spoken to them.

Danni

All my best,
Danni