At work with debt on my mind...

iVillage Member
At work with debt on my mind...
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 11:53am
Here I sit again, with this hovering over my head like a dark cloud! I am not behind on anything, but I am just living minute by minute. My daughter just came in the library (I work at her school) and asked if she could go with a friend and her mom after school to the mall to look for shorts for summer. I told her okay, but here I sit wondering how I am going to rake up some money for her to go buy shorts, and get something to eat. I have a little in my paypal account, and a few dollars in my purse. I am so sick of this! I just think of all the interest I am paying on cc and mortgage, and it makes me sick. It is like being between and rock and a hard place. I know some would say "Tell her she can't go!" I know that would be the logical thing to do, but I am a softy....her friend's dad is a pilot for Delta Airlines, her mom is one of those pampered women, who only only fills in at school when needed. Here I am working 2 jobs, and husband working and we still can barely get by. Oh well, Ill hush!

Thanks,

Lucy
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 12:36pm
Ah, to be a pampered woman...a girl can dream! Just tell your daughter or the other mom that you don't have any cash on you, hopefully the school doesn't have an ATM! And give her a few dollars for a snack. Tell her to find a pair she likes and you can take her back when it is in your budget. Even wealthy people run out of cash these days!!

Rebecca

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 3:33pm
I don't have kids, but I know what you mean. I also work 2 jobs, and my DF works 60+ hrs/wk, so we can get our debt paid off and buy a house. It seems never-ending, and jealousy is a frequent visitor at my door! The girl who sits next to me at work just bought a house, and she just decided to start looking a month ago, and here I've been plotting and planning for at least 6 months, and it's going to be at least another year before we can start looking!

The previous advice was good--tell her that she can pick out something and put it on hold, then you two can go back after payday and buy them. She may even forget about it by then--it sounds like it might be just a case of the "I want what she wants"! And just keep tackling your debt day by day, and eventually you'll get there, look back, and smile at what you've accomplished!