Good Deed

iVillage Member
Good Deed
Wed, 05-21-2003 - 11:01pm
Well, I finally went through all of my twins' clothes (including newborn). I was hoping to find a consignment store to sell them. However, I couldn't find one in my area. I couldn't even find a store which bought used kids' clothes. My kids have tons of clothes. I would have used the money toward our debt. (We now have $31,500 in cc debt, and $20,000 in student loans).

Anyway, I have so much to be greatful about. The Man above has been great to me and my kids.

I know someone who found out she is having a boy. Her and her husband are in so much debt. Could u believe, they bought a $400,000 house and torn it up to make it a one family house. Dumb if u ask me. Anyway, I gave her allllll of my son's clothes. (She is due in the beginning of October). She was so thrilled. As for my daughter's clothes, I'm sending it to my cousin. (She offered to pay for shipping). Her husband is a pastor/owner of two pharmacies. In their Church, there are very poor members. Many times, my cousin and her husband buy formula, pampers, etc. to give to the members of the Church. My cousin and her husband are very well off. The Man above has blessed them in many ways.

I feel so good about helping others, who are less fortunate than I. Here I am worried about the debt my husband put us in. I figure life can't be about making money.

I'm also taking my clothes and giving it to good will. I have so many books. I'm going to be donating it to a program called "Child's Life Program". It's a program in the hospital where my kids were born. Also where my daughter rec'd her new liver. They lend out books to the parents staying in the hospital w/their kids. They also offer emotional support. They lend out toys to the kids in the hospital. They do so much.

Just wanted to share my thoughts.

MYM

Edited 5/21/2003 11:04:52 PM ET by mymartes

iVillage Member
In reply to: mymartes
Wed, 05-21-2003 - 11:27pm
I was thinking along the same lines as you are these past few days. I was going to take some of my business clothes to a consignment store and some of the kids clothes etc. but I got to thinking about it and I think I will donate them too. I may feel down on myself at times because of debt but my family and I have it so good. We have a roof over our heads, food on the table, and even though we are in debt I have always paid my bills on time and continued to do so even im my darkest times. I have lots to be greatful for and I know that with the family support I have I will never be forced to live in the streets or a some slum of an apartment.

I also believe that what you put out *there* will come back to you. GIVE freely and you will RECEIVE freely. When I try to *get* all that I can in terms of money I seem to have less but when I *give* (does not have to be actual money) I have so much more. Now if it were only enough to pay off this credit line! lol

Sandra

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 9:40am
I agree. What we give ends up coming back to us tenfold, I've found.

I still try to take some clothes to consignment shops, but mostly I drop things off at the St. Vincent de Paul Society on Saturday mornings. Blending two households with lots of STUFF, some identical, caused us to have two people in ten rooms with no place to put things. Every week I try to do a 27-fling-boogie and get rid of STUFF. I have ENOUGH!!

Lee Ann

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 12:12pm
MYM - thank you so much for such a beautiful post first thing this a.m. I really needed to read that today.

After reading all the talk here about flylady.net the other day - I signed up. I just went through the house and found 27 things to throw away. I was going to do the same with clothes, but reading your post has given me the kick in the pants needed to take the clothes to the Good Will.

Many thanks - your post today will help others in my area, and I'm grateful to you for showing me the importance of that.

All my best,

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 12:31pm
I'm glad that my post has motivated you all to donate. Many times we get wrapped up in our debts that we forget that others have much less than we do.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 3:17pm
I sell my kids clothing on ebay because I need the cash to buy them new clothing (also on ebay, where I get the most bang for my buck)... but usually if I don't need a quick cash influx I'll donate or give away items.

It's uncanny how many times I've given something away, and almost magically been rewarded for it in someway. The most recent was that we gave away our dryer to a neighbor who is out on disability and his dryer broke. We were getting a new washer/dryer from hubby's parents who were moving and we didn't need our old dryer. We desperately needed a dehumidifier and toyed with the idea of selling the dryer to buy a dehumidifer, but didn't as we are quite friendly with the neighbor. As we were helping the neighbor get the dryer into his basement, we noticed he had two dehumidifiers. He had just gotten one as a "leave behind" from someone who lived in his building (he's the superintendant) and asked if we wanted it. It was too weird!

So we helped him out, and still got our dehumidifer, a win/win situation.

Now that winter is over and our last oil bill is paid, I'm able to start a 'donations' fund that will be funded monthly. It will still be small compared to what I'd like to donate, but it's a start. We're still don't technically meet our minimum payments on credit cards (I use a line of credit to pay one), but I really feel like we're fortunate to have a good income, healthy happy kids who don't know what a struggle life can be, a roof over our heads, and food in our tummies. I think we'll be donating to fosterparentsplan canada to help kids monthly. They also work for other issues, and are an international legitimate organization who is open with their books. I can't wait to start helping someone else, it's amazing that what I used to waste on takeout coffee for a week can feed, clothe and provide healthcare to a child for a month. The c.c. interest I'm wasting paying off all this stupid debt could probably take care of a whole village of children! dumb dumb dumb......... (that knocking noise is me banging my head against the wall!)

Keep up the good deeds everyone!

Edited 5/22/2003 3:34:45 PM ET by birdiecheeks