Dreamin'...........and deep dark secrets

iVillage Member
Dreamin'...........and deep dark secrets
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 1:04pm

I'm becoming addicted to dreaming!! Lately, I've been entering a lot of (legitimate) on-line sweepstakes to win large sums of money, like at Better Homes and Gardens and such. And I think I've become so addicted to entering these every day, and dreaming about what I'll do with the money "when" I win!! LOL Seriously, if I don't get to enter them for a day, I get upset that I'm gonna miss my chance!

Do any of you do this?? I think it gives me something to "aspire" to while I'm plugging away to pound down my debt--you know, keeps me from being depressed about it.

So now I've told you all my deep, dark money secret....what's yours???

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 2:38pm
I used to play freelotto.com religiously, until they started sending tricky unethical emails, like "enter this number to claim your prize" and when you read the fine print you find out you're buying a $9.95 subscription rather than it being free... occassionally I'll enter contests but I found I was spending too much time at it and could be doing other stuff... like 27 fling boogies!

We do buy a lotto ticket every payday though... like my grandpa used to say "somebody's gotta win, might as well be me!"

:)

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 10:06pm
I'm a car hound. I dream about getting a new car (or small truck) a lot. I would love to have a new vehicle...I don't even care about the 30% or more depreciation when you drive it off the lot. I would just like to have a brand new car, just for once. My car is really fast becoming a beater and I would love to have a new one. My debt is not from cars...
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 2:43am
My weakness is those video clubs, music clubs, book clubs... you-name-it clubs. Get 5 videos for only 5 cents! 12 CDs for a penny! I get hooked up in them, then can't meet the membership requirements, get bills in the mail for the rest of the membership, which eventually go into collection, etc.....

They'll even call me up and offer this month's special for our "valued customers!" Buy one at regular price, get 2 more for free! How can I refuse? I even tell them, "Hey, I know how this will turn out - you'll sign me up, I won't be able to pay, then your company will get mad at me and send me endless letters, and finally turn it over to collection. Still want my business?" Of course they do! The telemarketer doesn't care whether the company makes money off me or not, they just want the commission!

Good grief - took me years and hundreds of dollars, and a wasted credit report, to break that habit. And guess what? I'm still a member of a video club and a music club. And I paid the last of my collections from the book club last week. (Caught that one before it went on the credit report.)

Will I ever learn???

Msfit

&nbs

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 8:19am
Cloth Diapers (LOL), my addiction is cloth, when I had DS in Sept. I decided to use cloth to save money and for the most part we've saved a ton of money over disposables but, everyday I peruse the auction sites and the online shops looking at the cute diapers that I can't afford, every once in a while i'm able to buy something and you just can't imagine the joy, I know it's silly but, I can't help it.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 9:39am
My dream when we are out of debt, is to peruse the craft and fabric aisles and buy as much fabric as I need to make my queen size bed and three children's beds quilts. They are hugely expensive but I am tired of being the odd man out when it comes to wanting things. Hubby and kids get what they want most of the time only because I give up my chance to do the same. Time to be selfish in a way. The quilts wil be mine to make, but I will give them to my famiy, so in a way, both sides get what they want. Sorta.... Making quilts is hard work but the payout is enormous to me. Looking at a quilt in all it's glory adn saying, I made that! It's terrific!

Andi D.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 9:46am
I love to dream. My deep dark secret.......slot machines! I love to gamble, but know that right now I can't afford to "play" someday my budget will be able to include this indulgence, but just not right now.

I dream of winning something at the slot machines and how I would pay off debts, I even dream about the posts I would write here on the board and the questions I would ask of everyone of how best to distribute my windfall!

I find that these dreams help to keep me motivated and also bring me back to reality that the only way my debt is going to be reduced is by my own hard work!

Although, the dreaming....gotta love it!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 1:22pm
I guess I would have to say that my deep dark secret is that I can't seem to break the shopping addiction. I think I am doing pretty well, whenever I talk to my mom and sister - who are worse off financially than me - they are always saying "I just got the cutest pair of sandals and they were only $19.99!" or somethign along those lines. So I know where I got my shopping addiction, and I know I am doing better when I think about the last time I bought shoes (it was about a month and a half ago, and I bought running shoes to replace the ones that were worn out and I resisted the urge to get the really cute extra pair) But still, I buy too many things on impulse.

Dreaming ... that one is really easy, travel! I want to see the whole world!! I watch the travel channel a lot and read a lot, the list of places I want to see is huge!! And even though, seeing Mt. Everest is at the top (to the tune of approx $10,000!!) I am going to settle for camping and seeing the national parks of the west, for now. (I am from the east coast, but live in AZ right now, we will eventually go back east, so i want to see all the stuff out here before we go back.) The camping (now that we have the stuff anyway) should be pretty cheap, drive and camp! I will still be dreaming of Everest though, and Fiji, and New Zealand, and London ....

Megan