OK, so we qualify for WIC...

iVillage Member
OK, so we qualify for WIC...
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 9:35pm
I almost can't believe it. We have an appointment to apply on June 9, and apparantly there is no waiting list (WIC is not an entitlement program, so sometimes you have to wait even if you qualify.) I sort of can't decide if I should be happy or depressed about it. We went to the grocery store today, and lots of what we bought was WIC approved. I guess it is an affirmation that we really are broke, almost poor even, and it makes sense that life has felt so hard and I have felt so deprived.

So, that will be a help with the budget. Now I wonder if we qualify for assistance with our utilities. I'll tackle that some other day.

wendy

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 9:04am
I know it's hard to accept the fact that sometimes we could use just a bit of extra help but I'm so glad you looked into it and found out that qualify. I know how helpful having that little bit extra to get some decent food is. :)

Becky

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 12:55pm
Don't feel bad about quailifying for WIC, it's a wonderful program and it won't be forever. Think of it this way, you pay taxes and your parents have paid taxes for years -this is what is helping you; all of that tax money. My mom told my sister in law that she has paid taxes for years and that somebody that she knows and loves should be taking advantage of it. Remember it's not forever either. Check on those utility breaks too, also just getting on level pay helps. Our natural gas bill run about $150 during the winter but only $30 or $40 during the summer by paying only $60 every month it's easier to budget and you don't freak out that first cold month of the year when you get a higher bill because it all works out.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 1:28pm
Good for you Wendy.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 1:39pm
Don't be depressed. It is a tough time for many people right now, and those are your tax dollars too that are helping your family through a rough time. A little help and all the lessons that we are learning about money and soon your situation will turn around.

Rebecca

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 2:44pm
Thanks everyone! I never thought about the fact that I've paid taxes for nearly 20 years, and that now it is just my turn to accept a little help. I never minded paying taxes so that others could benefit from programs like this, and for now I'm just on the receiving end of things. I decided to apply when I realized that my toddler and my unborn baby were getting the short end of the stick nutritionally because I had to skimp on the groceries. So, now I am looking forward to my appointment, and will spend what we "save" through WIC on healthy foods for our family.

Thanks again!

wendy

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-24-2003 - 12:54am
I will never forget my first trip to the Welfare Office - myGod that was so humbling and embarassing. I kept looking around me, hoping I wouldn't recognize anyone, or they wouldn't recognize me. So I know how humbling it can be to accept public assistance for the first time.

In our area, commodities were available one day a month - but you had to stand in line. I was qualified and carried a card, but was too embarassed to do that so went for months with no assistance. Finally a friend took my card for me and stood in line for me, and did this every month. I just could not bring myself to do it, no matter how badly my son and I needed it.

My social worker was the one to put me at ease... She reminded me that my situation was NOT permanent and that's what I had been paying taxes for all these years. She got me started on food stamps, Medicaid, day care and low-income rental assistance to start with - what a huge difference that made in my life! When I started my student teaching semester in college, and was not permitted to work, I accepted Welfare payments as well. Again, she had to remind me that this was what the system was designed for: A temporary helping hand to people who need to get back on their feet, and it made her day to be able to use the system for that purpose.

Once I graduated and found a teaching job, I so very proudly went down to her office to cut off all the aid, but even then she persisted - to ease me out of the system step-by-step, keeping day care and Medicaid for my son for an additional nine months.

I still have a paper food stamp for $1 in my wallet as a reminder of how good my life is today, and a good-luck charm that I will never go hungry again.

It will be hard to go into that appointment, but go in with your head held high. This is what the program was designed for, and for which you have paid taxes many years. You will see better days again. Meanwhile, accept the help that is offered and don't be ashamed.

As for the utilities, I went that road too during those rough years - and that utility assistance really helped when I needed it most. Since then, I've learned to put all utilities I can on an average-pay plan and automatic debit. Keeps our bills at an set amount all year round, no matter how high the gas goes up in the winter or electric in the summer, I always know how much I have to pay. What a godsend.

Best of luck to you - better days are ahead.

Msfit

&nbs

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-24-2003 - 9:55am
Beautifully said!!!

As I am still going through this experience and keep telling myself that I worked since I was 16 until I was around 30 (quit to become a SAHM) and DH has worked about as long (some time off for school, so average time is about the same if not longer), so we have paid taxes in and that was what this whole program was set up for. We didn't intend to have to ever use it but I'm grateful it's there (especially Medicaid in my case, I have no idea how we would pay the medical for prenatal care...I would be one of those people just showing up at the ER in labor with no care otherwise since we lost our medical insurance when DH was laid off).

I know we won't always be on it and Lord willing once we get off won't have to go back on to it either but it's nice to know it's there when life throws unexpected curve balls at you.

Becky

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-24-2003 - 2:43pm
Thank you! I really needed to hear that today. I am going through these highs and lows, today I am way low. In general, I am actually looking forward to the appointment, although I am sure I will have mixed emotions on that day also. We really do need help right now, and for my family I will go and get it.

Thanks again!

wendy