Credit card changing billing date

iVillage Member
Credit card changing billing date
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 10:28am
I'm a bit irritated about my one credit card. The due date has always been around the 4th of every month. I have my statement and am ready to pay it. Then I get another one in the mail with a due date of the 17th for DOUBLE the minimum payment (which is $170 to start with) So now they want $340! What a budget buster! There was no explanation at all about the statement. I am only guessing that it's because of the due date change. There was also no interest charges at all on the statement. That's the good news. But they'll probably get me for it next month. Why the double payment? It's only two weeks.

Sharon

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 10:35am
That's weird. Did you ask them to change your billing date?

I've never had that happen so can't give you any information but still find it odd.

Then again, I've done balance transfers and all of a sudden my minimums went up which didn't make sense to me either but usually worked out in my favor! LOL! Forced me to pay it off faster and since it was usually a 0% transfer, I couldn't complain too much.

Becky

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 11:02am
Hi Sharon,

The only way you'll find out the answer is to call the credit card company. It could have been a billing error, or they could have changed the date, or there could be something fishy going on. You'll never know unless you call and ask.

Lee Ann

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 11:56am
Mine changed the billing date recently too. For the longest time, it was due on the 21st. Then, it changed to the 19th. I've been paying it online for the past 6 months and I just noticed that it's now due on the 17th next month. I know they do it on purpose hoping that their credit card holders won't notice and will pay late, thus incurring late fees and eventually higher interest rates. Definitely call them and ask them what's going on and see if they can change something. That just doesn't sound right at all!

Akirez

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 12:41pm
Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure it's legit because a while back this company merged with another only they never changed the name of the bank on my account until my first June statement. The second June statement came pushing the due date from the 4th to the 17th. It's later, so that's better than sooner. An explanation would have been nice. I'm heading over right now to check the online statement. I haven't had time to call them yet. I had a super-busy morning (typical Wednesday).

Funny thing is I've seen ads for this particular bank that say they allow customers to choose their own billing date... so why change it?

Ok, ok, I'm calling them. LOL!

Sharon

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 12:45pm
OMG! This is crazy! LOL! I just went to the online statement. It says I have a ZERO balance! (That's not what the paper statement said.) I WISH I had a zero balance! It should be over $8000! They are definitely going through some changes.

Sharon

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 2:17pm
QUICK...print it out and say "Hey, I have a $0 balance" what are you talking about I owe you money. ;)

Unfortunately, that wouldn't hold up because they have clauses in their accounts for such type of computer errors, etc...

But it's a nice thought.

I would definately call and ask them what exactly is going on & how much you owe and by when (get the person's name, etc... too).

Becky

Becky - Mom to Carolyn (17), Aaron (15), Kyle (11) & Luke (8)
Send a free greeting card on me!!