need advice dealing with collection co.

iVillage Member
need advice dealing with collection co.
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 1:53pm
Need help with new problem. For the last two months we have been trying to deal with the bank and my husband's student loans. After doing what was asked, we call to find out status last month they said they never received payment. I had receipts so I faxed them to them. Then when we called they said it was too late and they had sent it to collection. Being a canadian loan, the federal government had guarranteed a portion and gave the funds to the bank sending it to a collection company to get it from us. the unguarranteed part went to another collection company that was helpful in getting it sent back to the bank if we made a certain payment. However the collection company that the guaranteed portion is at is being extremely difficult. I don't know where to start with this guy. Every conversation I have had with him has ended in both of us yelling at each other. It's only been 7 days since this started. I just want to make a payment schedule with him and get on with life. I am going to be working crazy hours over the summer and will give this account every penny I can but I don't want him to know that.

One problem is that he will not accept any payment until I fill out a very personal information sheet about my husband, myself and my children. I don't want him to know this information. Why in the world does he have to know my children's names? Since my husband and I are only common-law do I have to tell him my employers name phone number and address for him to make a payment arrangement?

Please, I don't know the law well enough to know my rights. I just want this man to make it possible to say yes, I will pay xxx$ a month. Ever extra dollar I can find I will send to but he doesn't have to know this.

The gov. sent us a letter saying they would withhold income tax and g.s.t payments towards the debt. I want them to do this because next years income tax return will probally be half the debt's total. I should be able to easily pay the other half between now and then.

Help please...Michelle

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 3:07pm
Hi Michelle,

This sounds fishy to me. I personally, would not give info to a third party about you or your children. I am not clear on all the laws in Canada but you may want to try out the Debt Questions and Answer Board and see if they can help you.

I do know there are laws to protect you from harrasment etc. and that collection agencies are regulated as to what they can do and say etc. Here is a link to a Canadian website and also you can contact your provincial Consumer Affairs office to get more information.

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/ca01485e.html

Sandra

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 9:20pm
dear michelle. i am in the same situation as you but i found out from a lender that collection agencies cannot touch you if you make a regular payment. even $20 a week will do. the collecton agency will not tell you that because they think we are all dumb. but the law is as long as you are paying even the smallest amount they cant touch you!

give that a try.

goodluck. narelle
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 8:55am
Hi Michelle,

What a mess! I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.

I don't know the laws either, but you may want to make some phone calls or look up online to find out. It sounds like you need to protect yourself and your family's information.

Prayers and positive thoughts coming your way.

Lee Ann

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com