Another card bites the dust!

iVillage Member
Another card bites the dust!
Thu, 05-29-2003 - 8:44am
Phew! I thought Discover card was closed when I transferred the balance to a new 0% card, but just got a bill for $20 for interest on the balance before the transfer. So I paid it online, leaving me just $20 until Monday (gulp!). Of course the nice lady tried to talk me out of it, asking why I was closing the account - because I'm going totally debt-free. She could offer me a lower interest rate, what are the rates on my other cards? - 0%. She could offer me 5% - no thanks. I can get cash-back, so be earning money using the card - no thanks. What if I needed a card for an emergency? - I wouldn't need a card in an emergency, because it would be a nuclear one, and I'd be gone anyway. ha ha ha! She closed the account, and didn't even say 'Thank you for calling discover card, have a good day'. My account can be reopened within 90 days by calling back. FAT CHANCE! I'm free! ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2003 - 9:20am
LOL... "'cuz it would be a nuclear one and I'd be gone anyway".

Good one, cracked me up

Congrats!

Lorraine

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2003 - 12:23pm
LOVE the nuclear line! Can I just say that that conversation once again PROVES to me that it's the credit card companies that have created the concept of "good to have in an emergency". I think so many of us are petrified to get rid of cards because we might need them "in an emergency" - well it's the cc companies that PUT that fear into us to begin with!

Congrats on getting rid of the card - you're much better off without them!

All my best,

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2003 - 2:00pm
hee hee hee! She probably thought she was dealing with a real whacko at that point. It was the only time she didn't have a canned response to read to try to convince me to keep the card open!

Doing the happy dance of one less credit card...

laf

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2003 - 3:39pm
congrats weddingdance,

I'm sure it feels great chopping up another one. you're one step closer to being debt-free. 0% interest is great.

mym