Finally started using Quicken again

iVillage Member
Finally started using Quicken again
Thu, 05-29-2003 - 3:24pm
OK everyone I finally put all my financial info on my quicken program. I have not used it for a couple of years. We had problems with our computer etc and even though I backed up my files something was wrong with the disc and I lost everything! Its taken me almost two years to get back to doing this!

I have always kept good records and know how much every bill is and what my RSP's are doing etc BUT to see the totals altogether has got me inspired again. I have over 50K in savings (most in RSP's). I never touch my RSP's and to me its like not there, but looking at the total is inspiring because I have accomplished something and it makes me want to do it all the more.

My next plan is to revamp the budget and work in some of Mary Hunt's suggestions. I am definately starting a freedom account.

And thanks to Heather (heather.head) and her wonderful ideas for handling her finances I have gotten some more inspirationa and ideas.

Wish me luck on making a new and improved budget. I probable won't have it completed until end of June as by than I will know exactly how much extra dh will be bringing in. Also I have just picked up some extra work (I work for a friend at her home based business doing clerical work a few hours a week) from my friend/employer and the extra money will go towards snowflaking and savings.

Sandra

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2003 - 3:42pm
good for you sandra.

mym

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2003 - 5:10pm
I love having all my stuff in Quicken, I have reports set up to show my declining cc balances at end of every month, have my mortgage in there, rsp's (although it's kinda scary looking at those lately as they keep diving), I use the savings goals feature for my freedom funds (these are all deluxe version features). I've been using quicken for probably ten years now. My banks won't download to my version 2001 anymore though, so I'm back to manual entries cuz I'm too cheap to upgrade at the moment.

Ebay is a cheap source for anyone looking to buy basic Quicken, all kinds of "new user 2002" versions available on there (the disks that came free with people's new computers), so you can pick one up for a couple bucks verses the $50-$80 or so they want retail.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2003 - 10:58pm
Hey, I have 2001 Delux version as well. You mean I can't download now? Shoot - I was hoping to save time (I use to do it manually before when we were not connected to the internet) so I have never downloaded info before. I never before used the "delux" features but I am planning on it (in fact after I am finished here I am planning to work on it right now) sooo if I have any questions can I ask you for help?

Sandra

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2003 - 11:08pm
Sure ask away...

Both TD & PCF banks download functions won't work in it anymore, I'm assuming that it's the same across the board... when you try to download the program comes up saying that Quicken can't verify the financial institution or something to that effect. TD had a notice on their website last month that 2001 version wasn't being supported any longer, PCF just stopped working and fine print says 2002 & up versions supported. So that's really annoying.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2003 - 11:17pm
I bank at the Royal Bank so I am going to check it out although I am sure they will most likely be like the others.

Thanks

I just checked and it is actually Intuit (that makes Quicken) that does not support the 2001 version anymore for downloading at the banks :(

Darn it! I am not spending money on a new program at this point! Oh well, manual entries Yuk!

Sandra

Edited 5/29/2003 11:22:03 PM ET by momof2boys1663