Back again with a new name, LOL!

iVillage Member
Back again with a new name, LOL!
Sat, 05-31-2003 - 10:33am
I haven't posted in a couple of months, and I know what Oz was talking about when she said that somedays it's just not worth to keep posting, "Same Ol',Same Ol'". (My old screen name was lisa_e705). However, in the last couple of months, without having the daily and weekly accountability checks, our debt has gone up up up, and I'm back to feeling like we're *just* hanging on-kind of like last summer when I first found this board...

Much of the new debt is from bills that came in over the last 2 months, but even so, I thought we had been making progress, so seeing the grand total go up was NOT fun! And then taking the,"Well, if I stick my head in the sand JUST a bit further...it will all be good" attitude has not helped any either.

So, anyhow, I'm back, with a new name, and defintely a renewed sense of "This has GOT to STOP". I read a great quote on the Motley Fool site last night-I think I must have thought about it a bunch last night, because here I am now. I redid some of the quote to fit our family better, but the gist of it goes, "I'm getting out. I'm breaking the cycle. I owe that much to myself, my husband, and my kid. Thanks for the info, the encouragement, the heads-up, and especially the slap-you-in-the-face-with-the-truth posts that has helped me to realize: There's something better than dying in debt." The lady had just been to a family gathering where one of her sisters told her, "EVERYONE has debt. That's just how it is. EVERYONE dies in debt." Her response was great,"Hold on, Tono-what's this WE stuff?!?!" Right then, I just knew that she was right-there's MUCH more to life than stressing about debt.

So, here I am, back to give it another whirl...

Lisa

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-31-2003 - 11:35am
Welcome back Lisa! Now get some qtips to get that sand out of your nose and ears and some saline for the eyes. :)

I'm with you - was very close to being debt free, and then dh had to charge ALL of last years taxes on the cc's. It's both heartbreaking and FRIGHTENING. I now have 3 times the debt I ever incurred on my own, but we've got a plan, and dh is just as resolved to get out of it as I am, so I'm not having to fight him about it.

I'm so glad you're back. I look forward to reading more posts! Remember - babysteps - that's all any of us can require of ourselves, yet somehow they work!

All my best,

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-01-2003 - 12:28pm
Thanks, Danni-

I sat down today and totaled everything up, and wrote it all down in my notebook. I wrote it from least to most, and took a good look at what we pay monthly for everything, and what we can apply to snowballing. I think that's what most of the problem was- we weren't tracking our spending, and I didn't have a clear-cut plan on what bill to target first. I had been just paying (or not) in a willy-nilly fashion, and GEE-that sure didn't work for us! So, now I have a clear picture of where we are, and I have the glimmerings of a PLAN! YAY!

So, although the grand total is MUCH higher than I'd like, in that same notebook was the grand total from last June when we started paying real close attention to paying down the debt. We are actually lower now than we were then by almost $900. That was heartening!

Thanks again for welcoming me back-

Lisa

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 12:54pm
Lisa, so glad to see you again are you still FLYing. I love your humor and intelligence. It's great that your debt evaluation shows a lower balance and that you have a plan to work on further debt reduction.

Julie

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 10:09pm
Hi, Julie! I think congratulations are more in order for you! When I started coming back to this board, and saw one of your posts about snowflaking, I cheered,"YAY!" You're doing some great work-and seeing that was one of the things that made me stop and think about where we are, and where we want to be. It's always good to see someone being successful at the 'Get Out Of Debt' thing-I hope others are as inspired by your progress!

It's great to be back...

Lisa :)

~OT-My weeds all came back this year-are you *SURE* that you don't want to come take a crack at them???? LOL! (j/k-a bucket at a time...babysteps, babysteps...)

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 10:16pm
Lisa - I'm glad to see you back...I was missing my *twin* ;)

But DRATS...you mean the stick your head in the sand a little bit more doesn't work????

*sigh* I was hoping it did, although I hear you on seeing the debt go back up. YUCK! I'm almost back to my $10,000 CC debt wich for me is my *panic* amount, it was when I realized we were in that much debt that I started getting serious of paying it off and we were almost under $9,000 I was so looking forward to that. Alas, here I still am.

Becky

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 10:24pm
WOW! Guess what?!?! Me TOO!! ROFLMBO!!! Man, have I missed you! Our total is cruising up on $11,000 (credit cards, loans, various bills...)I saw that and said MANY bad words, you know, like, BUDGET, and TRACKING SPENDING, and a few others as well.

I see that your DH is gonna have some fun tomorrow-I hope he does well. We're all thinking good thoughts his way, anyhow...

Ah, but it's good to be back-

catcha on the flip side...

Lisa