Ready to cry

iVillage Member
Ready to cry
Sat, 05-31-2003 - 12:13pm
Hi everyone. My dh and I have talked about our debt and I'm seeking employment. I doing the best that I can to get a job. Interviews galore. I wonder what is wrong with me that nobody wants me. I do babysit a relative's child. It doesn't pay much but the whole point is it helps them out and gives me a few extra $$$. I have to use that money to pay for a vet bill. ERR!!! My husband doesn't understand why I'm so upset. It's shame my ss can get a job and he had alot of jobs and quit alot of them within a short amount of time. I have had one job but I was 16 and pregnant then. i went to college and earned a degree associate in specialized business secretarial science-medical option.

But can't seem to get passed the interview. My husband's wrist are hurting and he is afraid that he may need surgery. He is laborer. that's all he can work doing. WE HAVE TRIED TO FIND OTHER WORK> our debt isn't going up or down. Well our light bill is two months behind. we are on payment plan and still can't do it. err./

I'm so frusterated. One of the three places sent me letter today they chose another candidate. I interviewed for that postion 2 days ago. WHAT is a girl to do?

iVillage Member
In reply to: tjs96
Sat, 05-31-2003 - 12:49pm
It sounds like things are pretty tough right now! But first things first--not getting past the interview may not be a reflection on you. Dh applied for tons and tons of jobs before he even got an interview, and then he kept interviewing and not getting the jobs. It was just a bad market. He's now happily employed, but it took months and months and months. Don't let it get you down!

What you should do, however, is tune up your interview skills, to give yourself an edge. Does the school you got your diploma from offer career counseling? They might offer some free interview skills courses or workshops for graduates. If not, it might be worth the expense to sign up for such a class at a community college--they're usually not too expensive (I know, everything's expensive when you're broke, but this is an investment, not just an expense). Or, you could enlist the help of friends who work in HR or who have business or interviewing experience. You could role play and have them help you with any interview skills you need.

Finally, perhaps getting a job isn't the best solution. Do you have children? If so, you might find that getting a job isn't worth the income, by the time you pay childcare, taxes, clothing expenses, meals while you're at work, commuting expenses, and so on. You might be better off to stay home, find ways to cut expenses, own only one car, and look for ways to bring in a few bucks here and there. You could bring in typing work (ask around, put up posters, maybe try an ad in the paper), take care of someone else's child(ren) while they work, or anything else you have the skills and imagination for.

In the meantime, perhaps you could get an evening job doing part-time reception work, waiting tables, working in retail, etc. Not exciting or glamorous, perhaps, but it could bring in a few bucks to get you over the hump, and you'd still have daytime to look for a job or be with your children or work on getting some from-home work.

Good luck and blessings. Keep posting here.

Heather

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-31-2003 - 9:39pm
If you have a secretarial diploma you should be able to get something. Do you live in a larger area (ie, not a small town) where there are temp agencies? I work for a temp agency and it is working out really well for me. My advice is to look on the internet for temp agencies and of the ones in your area (if any), read about the company and see what sort of services they offer. Get a feel for the company, they aren't all the same. That is what I did and I really like the company I am working for. You can also look through the yellow pages for temp agencies that might not have a web page.

Also, do you qualify for any sort of social assistance? Often when you are on welfare or unemployment there are all sorts of employment centers that offer interview skills and job search help for free that you are only eligible to use when you are on unemployment or welfare. So those could be a really useful tool for you. You might be able to get interview skill courses/practice for free through an employment center. It would be worth checking out.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-01-2003 - 11:11am
Howdy tjs and thanks so much for posting. You sound very frustrated - and I understand it too well. I've also had a few interviews and no job offers. I refuse to let it get me down, however, and I certainly don't think it's a reflection of who I am as an employee - neither should you!

Both Heather and Rebecca have offered wonderful suggestions. If your school has a career center or job placement center, definitely contact them to see if they have any courses/workshops on interviews. If not - then a temp agency is a great place to start. Most agencies want you to come in for an interview, and they can help you with your interview skills as well. It's really nice to be able to talk to someone from an agency, and at the end ask, "So, how did I do?" They can point out problem areas for you to work on, and even better, they can often confirm how *tough* the job market is currently. When a temp agency tells you they usually have 100+ temps in the field in a given week, but lately it's been about 25% that amount, then you begin to realize that it's really not you :)

Hope this helps! Also, if you haven't checked them out already, you may want to check out the following iVillage message boards:

1. Job Seekers Support Group: http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-wdjobsupport

2. Resume and Interview Advice: http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-caresumeone

Please let us know how it goes!

All my best,

Danni

All my best,
Danni