Breakthrough with DH!

iVillage Member
Breakthrough with DH!
Sat, 05-31-2003 - 3:45pm
There is hope ladies. 2 of our cc bills came in the mail today, and I got so depressed looking at them. When DH took the evil cc statement out of my hand, saw our balance and what we paid in interest on the big one (over $200 for one month) he FINALLY understood. He took the card out of his wallet and cut it up into tiny little pieces. I had done that with mine last year. He then said, if you had told me it was that bad I would have cut it up months ago! Duh, I did tell him, I just never put the piece of paper in his hand. I actually got tears in my eyes. I have to make my payments on time for two more months then they said they would lower my APR, I was really late a few times on that one.

Thanks for listening, I just wanted to share some good news!! Have a great, debt-free weekend everyone!

Rebecca

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-31-2003 - 4:20pm
Hurray! What a great feeling!

You know, we're all on the same path, just some of us a little ahead and some a little behind. Sometimes you just have to say it over and over in as many ways as you can and eventually it just sinks in.

Whew. What a relief for you. I'm happy for you.

Blessings,

Heather

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-31-2003 - 7:16pm
OMG it's amazing how they can keep those blinders on isn't it!?!?

I'm so glad your DH woke up! It's sooooo nice when you're both on the same wave length.

My DH proved to me a few nights ago that we are finally really together in this too. We have $800 'found money' for car rentals and vacations over the summer. We can do weekend car rentals for $9.99/day if we rent Fridays to Mondays (usually it's $36.99/day). I suggested for the one weekend that we'll be going out of province that we upgrade to the $19.99 car for more room. He wouldn't go for it. (If it were being done on credit he would have upgraded in a minute).

Also I was trying to figure out if we could manage to buy a $99.99 family sized tent for our one camping weekend. Nope, he wouldn't go for that either, says he'd rather keep all the gear in the car and muddle through with our little tent. We did however decide on putting a freedom fund in place to fund a new tent for next summer.

It's the first time we ever sat down together with a spreadsheet and planned out how we would do things together, other than when we decided what expenses we were going to cut monthly ages ago. We planned out three weekend trips, made reservations for the cars, and budgets for the trips.

Gotta say, I've been in a real good mood these past couple of days too, smiling alot and happy, and that's gotta be why.

I'm so happy your DH is with you!

Lorraine

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-31-2003 - 7:34pm
Hurray! It sounds like he's *really* with you! Dh is the same way now, especially on things he has to pay for out of his own allowance! LOL

The funny thing is, he now kind of gets indignant about people who treat their money the way we (and especially he) used to, and makes fun of them. When we realized we were getting $1500 in taxes returned to us, he made a joke about buying one of those enormous wide-screen digital televisions (you can get a "good deal" on them at BJ's, where we purchased a membership earlier this year because the tires I needed were $50 cheaper than anywhere else in town). The funny thing is, a couple years ago (heck, one year ago) I might have gotten upset thinking he was serious, but we're so in tune now that I knew he was joking and we both laughed about it.

I'm so glad you're there with your dh. It's awesome, isn't it?

Blessings,

Heather

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-31-2003 - 8:47pm
Rebecca,

That is wonderful!!!! I really believe that most everyone has to see it written down on paper. Unitl I showed my dh on paper how much we were spending a month and he could see the numbers he didn't get it. He knew what I was telling him but he didn't *know* until he saw it for himself.

Sandra

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-31-2003 - 8:53pm
Lorraine that is wonderful that dh is now planning things out with you! My dh is not quite there. He knows we need to cut expenses and look for ways to get more money but it is usually me who figures it all out and makes the plans up. Don't get me wrong, he is generally on the same page for me he just does not like dealing with all the numbers! LOL

For the most part I like being in charge of the money! LOL but sometimes it would be nice if he helped in the planning. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes can help with the number crunching etc. He is getting better. I just have to keep working on him!

Sandra

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-01-2003 - 11:15am
Rebecca - that's fabulous news. Thank you so much for sharing. The best way to get debt free is to do it together. Hopefully you'll start to see serious reduction of debt now that you're tackling it as a team.

All my best,

Danni

All my best,
Danni