iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 12:56pm
Hi, I would like to deal with some of my issues about spending and money/security needs

and get on a workable (simple at this point) budget. I could use some support with

getting out of debt, stopping credit card usage, simple budgeting, and better attitudes

such as stop feeling deprived and sorry for myself/more responsible attitudes. I

tend to feel angry and sorry for myself because it has been very difficult trying to

live within our means...I am a SAHM, have one child aged 8, and am currently on

total disability (I receive monthly disability but it is very small amount...).

I would like to change our circumstances but also need better control of my own

attitudes/thoughts.

Thanks!

Joyfillsme

iVillage Member
In reply to: joyfillsme
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 2:31pm
Welcome to the DSG and thanks so much for posting. This is a wonderfully supportive group of people who tell it like it is. We all know the road of debt reduction is difficult, but it's possible to get to the end. We have members who have done just that! If you've not done so already, I invite you to check out the "Money" section of iVillage - there are fabulous articles there that are both inspiring and informative. http://www.ivillage.com/money

One of the best attitude-changing exercises for me in the beginning was to make everything a choice. I had to *stop* telling myself I can't afford x or y. Instead, I had to remind myself that at this time, I'm choosing not to purchase x or y or get a manicure or pay for a car wash, etc. Because the truth of the matter is that it is a choice - every dollar we spend is done by choice. I no longer go to the grocery store w/o a list, and I stick to the list no matter what. I even have a list to go to Target or the Mall - I know what, how and why I'm spending my money. As for stopping charging...do not carry your cards with you. Period. I've yet to encounter an emergency where I absolutely needed a cc with me that very minute. It's a myth that the cc companies put in our heads to make us depend on them.

Please stick around and keep posting - you'll find lots of great advice here!

All my best,

Danni

All my best,
Danni