Ya'll inspired me! (My dream jar)

iVillage Member
Ya'll inspired me! (My dream jar)
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 3:26pm
The talk of dream collages got me thinking and last night I decided to create a dream jar. I took an old canister, cut out a bunch of pictures of my dreams (some country property, lots of trees and acreage, lots of children, a lady gardening with her children, and a cat), and decorated the canister with them. Then I labeled the top of the jar "dream jar," and poured all my loose change in it. My plan is to save the money in the jar for a down payment. Every time I feel like I want to go out to eat or take in a movie or buy a little something for myself, I'll weigh the value of that with the value of putting that money toward my dream. Also, I can put in any amount out of my allowance I please, and sometimes I may just put a little in there because I feel like it.

It's only a small start, but we've been so focused on paying down our debt and building our contingency fund and freedom accounts, that there's been nothing left over for our dreams. What a pleasure it is to know, every time I put a dime in that jar, that I am 10 cents closer to my dreams. :)

Thanks for the inspiration,

Heather

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 4:07pm
heather,

i love the idea about the dream jar.

you go, girl....

mym

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 10:56pm
Heather, your posts are always so inspiring! That's a great idea! Good luck with it--I mean the willpower to skip this or that and put the money in the jar instead! That willpower thing is what I am having problems with right now! r.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 1:11pm
Heather, that is a wonderful *twist* to the dream map or treasure map as I have called it! And you know what it may not take long to build a little nest egg for yourself. I saw a show on Oprah a few years ago about MONEY. One gentlemen on there saved his lose change everyday from when his son was born. Every few months he rolled his coin took it to the bank and invested in a mutual fund and when his son went to college he had saved 58,000!!!! IN CHANGE!!! Now, obiviously he invested wisely but the point is he saved no more than a few dollars in his pocket everyday.

I have always remembered that story and I now save my change and put it in a savings account for my sons education :)

I also think saving this way for a vacation (the dream jar) and involving the kids teaches them to plan, save and than reap the rewards of the hard work. I think it was Becky who said they have their jar for Disney Land? I think that is a super idea as well. When my kids are older I plan to save our money for trips that way.

Sandra

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 1:15pm
sandra,

i saw that same episode on oprah. i saw it before my twins were born. it's the reason that i now save our pocket change, and deposit into their bank acct.

my twins are a year and half old. they have $10,000. Believe me, i've been tempted to take that money and put it toward our cc debt. however, then i remember it's my husband's fault we are in debt. therefore, i use his salary to pay off cc debt and leave our kids' saving fund alone.

mym

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 2:31pm
MYM,

Good for you for saving that much for your kids! I wish I could say the same. We have close to 1500.00 in the "boys" savings account. My oldest is 2 1/2. How did you save 10,000? I would love to hear your ideas.

Sandra

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 5:25pm
sandra,

i had $2,000 in the acct. to start. when i left my job to have my twins, my 401(k) went down to $4,500 therefore, company sent me a check. i didn't want to rollover to ira, so i decided to give it to my twins. as for the rest, it's tax refund (the earned income credit we rec'd for the kids), and money they rec'd when they were born and at their first birthday party. now i continue depositing loose change. for example, if i have to buy something w/$5 and it cost me $4, i give them the $1. i'm thinking about putting the 10,000 into a cd acct. and continue doing what i was doing and saving it into a saving acct.

also, they each have a $500 savings bond. it was given to them on the day they were born by my h's employer. he's a great guy. however, i'm not sure how saving bonds work. i have it in a safe place for them. i plan to give it to them when they are adults.

mym