So depressed...lost my job today...

iVillage Member
So depressed...lost my job today...
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 11:01pm
I haven't posted here in awhile but I feel I have no where to turn to right now. I left my stable job of 3 1/2 years to work in a mortgage co, affiliated with a bank. I was making a whole lot more money here and was treated so much better. When I was 18 years old I had a 3rd degree misdemeanor for theft and since I am now 24, I didn't think that that would haunt me. I have been at my new job for a few weeks and my boss really likes me. Unfortunately, since the new job was owned by a bank, and they have strict rules about criminal backrounds. I got terminated today because of my misdemeanor. I did indicate on my application that I had a criminal record. But they did not say anything about it until now. I got terminated but my boss believes in me enough to call HR tomorrow and see if they can make an exception.

I contacgted an attorney to get my record sealed and this will be done by the end of the month.

i'm soooooo stressed out brcause i'm the only one that works full time. we have so much debt... i'm not even worried about that tho...i'm freaking out because i have an infant who needs to go to the doctor... i have no benefits...

on top of all this...i have no idea how to tell my husband what happened...i hope that my work will be able to make an exception...

i'm so devestated!!!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 12:07am
OUCH! That's awful what happened to you today! Please tell your husband what happened so you don't add extra stress on top of this. I hope everything works out for you and you get the job back!

I got laid of last year and just starting to hunt now....This is not a good economy to be out a job.

Best wishes and a hug! Littlesbigs

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 1:30am
While you're talking to the attorney about sealing your records, find out if what your company did is legal. If you disclosed the misdemeanor on your application, and they accepted it and hired you, it is just not right for them later to fire you over it. It may even be illegal--after all, you left a good job to take this one, and they hired you on false premises (the false premise that your misdemeanor was not a factor in their hiring). I would check it out.

In the meantime, I'm very sorry for the stress this is all causing you. For what it's worth, I have a good friend who spent 5 years in federal prison a while back (he just finished parole last year), and he now works at a good job making six digits. He loves his job and is happy there. However, it was a long hard road, and frustrating, because the conviction is a factor in everything--for instance, he can't get life insurance because of it, and many places wouldn't hire him despite his outstanding performance record.

Anyway, my point is that even more significant convictions can be overcome, but they do make things harder in some ways. Still, your employer should not have accepted your application, hired you, and then fired you over something disclosed on the application. I hope they decide to waive the requirement and hire you back.

I don't know whether it will help you, but mantra I repeat often when faced with difficulties is "every problem holds a gift in its hands." It may not seem comforting to you, but it always helps me. Perhaps there is something better out there right around the bend. Or perhaps there is some lesson in all this waiting to be learned and that will enhance your life. But you have to look for the gift--it won't always just fall in your lap.

Anyway, I do hope things look up for you soon. I know this must be quite a shock and very discouraging. I'm sending good vibes your way.

Blessings,

Heather

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 2:33am
I know how you feel.I to have a small child and no job.I have no income and no savings and now my roomate of 6 years tells me he is moving out soon.I have no rent money for this month and I am really afraid soon I will be living in the street.I keep looking for work but no luck and when I ask friends can they help me out it is always no.Landlords do not listen when you try to tell them what has happened they only want the rent which I do understand but sometimes things happen to people.Do you have any family that can help you?I have no one as my whole family has passed on.I wish you all the best.SweetCanesa.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 2:37am
Thank you so much for your kind words. I have decided not to tell my husband until I hear the final word tomorrow. I'm going to hve the attorney call my boss and also corporate because I shouldn't even have a record. Wrong place @ the wrong time type of ordeal. I know that my boss wants to keep me because I'm a great asset to the company...I just don't get it..it's a misdemeanor only and so long ago. The attorney said that it should be completely off my record by the end of the month.

I'm saying a little prayer for myself right now. It won't be too difficult to find another job but I really did love this one :( I'm anxious for medical benefits for my kids though. There's no point stressing about it..I have no control over it but looking at my babies right now just breaks my heart.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 2:40am
My in laws are very well off... so the money part of it isn't that big of an issue..believe me it's an issue but not the most important one. I just keep thiking about the medical benefits part of it. Just keep your fingers crossed about my job tomorrow. i hope they make an exception.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 7:56am
lvhunnie, hang in there, I'm sending you all my positive thoughts this morning.

Good luck, what they did is wrong

Lorraine

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 10:02am
I'm so sorry this is happening. I hope that the atty can clear this up for you! If not, I would consider an employment law atty to see if the firing was, in fact, legal.

HTH

Danni

All my best,
Danni