The 20 Pound Purse

iVillage Member
The 20 Pound Purse
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 1:24am
I guess I'm tired, so before I go to bed, I'll tell you a couple weird money stories that are related to debt.....then y'all can send me off to bed!

My best friend carries a purse that is almost 20 pounds heavy, no kidding!!!! We were shopping one day, and I offered to hold her bag while she went to try on a dress.....she REALLY HESITATED to let me hold it.....she was embarrased for me to find out that it was FULL of change on the bottom. (I found the weight of the purse absolutely shocking...boy, is she going to have back problems!) I said she should turn it into the bank at least for paper money, but she absolutey refused. Over time, I have come to realize that she grew up so poor (due to the parents' poor money management) that the weight of the money in the purse is comforting to her. She can FEEL it is there. I don't hold her purse anymore.

I have another friend who is always living on the edge because she can't stop spending. She's anticipating some major life changes in the next 5 years, and she is trying to plan for them, but she keeps on spending and getting more loans even through she can't afford them. She simply can't wait. There's no such thing as delayed gratification for her. It's gotta be now all the time, and it's always gotta be the deluxe model so she spends much more than she really has to. A mutual friend said that she was deprived as a young mother of things she wanted...so now she just can't be deprived again. Her husband's job and health are uncertain at this time, too, but she just can't economize...

Well, okay, just passing thoughts....and now I am going to sleep.

I am going to dream about when I get out of my debt.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

Littlesbigs

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 7:51am
My father routinely carries hundreds, like several hundred, dollars in his wallet. He has lost it once but that didn't change anything. He says starting out that he, then he and I mother as a couple, never had any money and always struggled, so he keeps the cash there now because of that.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 10:23am
This is a story about my DS and his first checking account. When his bank statement came in I offered to help him do the reconciliation. I saw on his register that he wasn't listing the name of the business where he wrote the check. He was listing food, gas, or SS. I asked him about the SS, he said "SS stands for Stupid Sh##, that's something I bought but didn't need so it's Stupid Sh**". I now wonder how many entries I've made on my check book register that should have been listed SS.

jb