I don't think i can do it anymore....

iVillage Member
I don't think i can do it anymore....
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 10:11pm
I was out of work for 6 months. Which lost us 1500. a month for bills, now i am back to work as of feb. my husband started a new business this year and has not been able to pay himself as of yet. we are about 2000.00 short each month since feb. everything is either behind or turned to collections. I don't feel like i can answer the telephone anymore, my DH just say's it will get better. I am stressed, loosing hair and hopefully will not hoave a heart attack anytime soon, which would be good since we don't have health insurance.

At what point do you say it's enough? Do you start to give car's back, look at banckruptcy, hold out for as long as you can, oviously worrying has not helped. My car loan companies is calling my relatives now. I just can't seem to get a brag on it--- there is just not enough. Even with me working 50-60 hours a week more. Now what?

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-05-2003 - 8:31am
'Enough' for me was when I had maxed out all my credit cards, couldn't get another one, and couldn't make my mortgage payment. I had to sell my house. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. And on my birthday too! That was in 1995, and I'm still paying off the balances on those credit cards. They were up to $24K (I was only making $28K at the time). Now I'm down to about $9K, plus a new hospital bill for $3400.

I fought selling my house right to the bitter end, but it was all I could do. I tried taking in roommates, I've always worked two jobs, I just wasn't financially intelligent enough to make it work. I'm sad about it still, but I brought it on myself by allowing my husband-at-the-time to get me to charge home repairs, then he split.

Other people may have thrown in the towel sooner, or stuck it out longer, but the month I wasn't able to make a mortgage payment was the end for me.

Good luck!

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-05-2003 - 8:47am
It sounds to me you've reached your "enough" place. It also sounds to me that your dh started his own business w/o first having enough financial backing to support the household during the startup/transition time, and frankly that's just not *good* business sense. I would only be killing myself 50-60 hours/week if I, too, was convinced that the business would take off and be successful.

Sounds like you and your dh need to sit down and have a very, very frank discussion about exactly *when* and *how* things are going to improve - not a rough estimate of time, but an exact time based on projections based on hard numbers. It's not fair of him to let you deal with all of this when you're so clearly stressed.

Good luck with your talk, and please let us know how it goes.

Danni

All my best,
Danni