Got a good call from creditor today!

iVillage Member
Got a good call from creditor today!
Thu, 06-05-2003 - 11:54am
Well, I have been pretty down the past few months and after borrowing money from my sister, I was able to get back on track but still had some hurdles. I have since received my student loan for the summer and I am using it to pay off some old debts. Well a few weeks ago, I was lying in the bed feeling lost and I began to pray. I basically just let it all out and asked God to help me. I took off half a day yesterday only to return to work this morning with a note for me to call some woman I didn't know at an 800 number. I knew this had to be a creditor and I usually get so stressed out when they call me at work. Well, I called and the woman was with one of my credit cards that I have consolidated with a credit counseling company. She basically was calling to thank me for my regular payments and said that if I was able to, they would let me pay 70% of my total bill and they would write off the rest. I told her I couldn't afford it now but maybe in a few months I could. She said that was fine and told me to call her if I ever wanted to pay extra or pay the 70%. I have never had a creditor call me and be so nice to me. It was unbelievable. Just last month I was able to pay off a credit card that I owed a little over $300 on. They offered me a settlement of $220 and I took it. Now that card is paid in full and hopefully soon I can do that for this Visa. It is amazing what a little prayer can do for you.

Tammie
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 9:26pm
Just make sure if your settle the 70% you get it in writing that they will not put on your credit report as settled... you want them to put paid in full...