First Credit Score!

iVillage Member
First Credit Score!
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 2:19pm
Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd share my news with everyone. I checked my credit score for the first time ever at myfico.com for $12.95--I've checked my credit report a few times before, but never my score. Anyway, I currently have a 672. It's not as bad as I thought, but there's still room for improvement. The two main problems are too much debt compared to available limits--duh! That was no surprise and I'm paying everything down now as fast as I can! But that problem is second to the number of inquiries I've had--5 in the past 12 months! One was just back in March by my client (I work as a consultant), but it's showing up as me having applied for credit with them--bizarre! I even called Equifax to confirm. So, I'll need to clear that up at some point. I know they did a background check, but it should have been done prior to me starting to work here--October of last year! My cell phone showed up too since I started a new plan back in December. Plus, my DH added me to his bank account--showed up as applying for new credit, and I refinanced my car with my bank (this one is totally fine), but the other three bother me. Oh well. I won't be changing anything else anytime soon, so there won't be any more stupid inquiries. DH and I want to buy a house next year, so I'll just know not to apply for anything at all before then, but this kind of sucks because it will be hard for us to shop around for car insurance since that shows up as an inquiry too or to get a new cell phone plan! The good thing is that the rest of the info. on my credit report is pretty much correct and there's nothing negative--just high balances that I'm working on! Just had to share!

Akirez

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 2:53pm
Looks like you are organized and planning ahead. You'll be able to achieve your goals in know time.

julie

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 9:23pm
Re: your inquiries... if they are with Equifax you can dispute them. I have had so many deleted from Equifax.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-09-2003 - 11:02am
Thanks caliwomen! I might try that! The report is through Equifax and some of the inquiries are not legit. I'll see what I can do! Thanks!

Akirez