I guess I need to stand in the corner...

iVillage Member
I guess I need to stand in the corner...
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 10:01pm
I guess I am in need of a good punishment like standing in the corner with my nose in the corner! (My recent mattress purchase) I know that it was probably a mistake to buy the mattress at this point. It was a much needed purchase though. I live in a very small town, and I am aware of the "no interest" trap that goes on, and then they stick it to you when you don't pay up in 90 days. I know the people who own the furniture store, and have done this before and have ALWAYS paid on time. Even if I couldn't, they don't do homefolks like that with the interest game. I will admit, it bothered me when I got a good lecture for the purchase, I know we are all in here for support. It did make me feel like a school child getting a lecture. Oh well, I guess the truth hurts! I do appreciate the honesty in all of your opinions. I will get the mattress paid off, I am not going to beat myself up over it, I would feel worse if I were putting a new wardrobe or something frivilous on 90 days.

Thanks,

Lucy
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 10:50pm
No lecture out of me!! I fully believe everyone is entitled to their opinions, and mine is that if she needed a new mattress, she needed a new mattress. I charged a new bed when I really didn't want to, but the bed we had was two disgusting futons that were at least third hand, and they were MOULDY!!! My bf had allergy attacks every night at bedtime--he said it was just his body "shutting down" for the night. I asked him if he had EVER had a NEW bed in his life, and he hadn't so he didn't know any different. They were so disgusting that I couldn't handle it. We got a queen size Serta brand mattress for $349 and it is pretty good. My bf's bedtime allergy attacks vanished almost overnight. My back pain lessened considerably with the new bed, that's for sure. At fourteen your daughter is more than old enough to help pay for it. I admit I never had to help pay for things like that, but by 14-15 I was making enough money babysitting to buy most of my clothes, etc. My thoughts are get your daughter involved with paying for it, and cut things out of your budget for the next three months so that you can pay for it in full when the bill is due. Then don't do that again...set up a fund where you save for the things you buy...that's what I am trying to do. I know it's tough (I'd love to take Ford up on the 60 months free money and finance a new car, but there's no way I will). Those are my opinions. And by the way, when I was growing up, a friend's mom bought everything new on credit, the don't for X number of months. She paid everything in full when due, but my mum still went on and on about what a trap those things are. I think they are alright if you save diligently every month and pay it in full when due.
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 11:03pm
Thanks for your opinion, I guess it is my time of the month! A little testy I guess! I am going to cut back on some areas to cover the cost of the mattress. She just came in from camp and has not gotten out of bed since like 3 hours ago. I am happy with my purchase, and feel justified. I guess that is all that matters. Your poor BF! I bet he feels 100% better now. Allergies are awful to live with, glad you got a new mattress. You deserved one!

Lucy
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-07-2003 - 12:24am
I only meant my post to be nice, you know that right? I didn't mean any of it to sound reprimanding at all. I think everyone is entitled to express their opinions, but I am only sharing what I hope are nice thoughts while still being honest and hopefully helpful. One of my budgies died this week and so I am on a new course of my life trying only to be nice to people. rebecca
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-07-2003 - 11:07am
Rebecca, I am so sorry to hear about your budgie! I know from your previous posts that you are a bird person and I know how it feels to lose a beloved family (pet) member.

Sandra

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-07-2003 - 11:23am
Thanks for your post, I really didn't take your post offensively! I am so sorry for your recent loss! I know how attached one can get to pets. I recently had to give up my cat, because of my son's allergies. It has been hard. I appreciate all of your replies to my posts, I just guess it was my mood or frame of mind at the time. Anyway, water under the bridge now!

Thanks again,

Lucy
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-07-2003 - 3:11pm
Sorry about your budgie! I am an animal lover too, just have one cat, but will have more pets once I own a house. About the Great Matress Debate lol, I can see both sides. I would only buy it once all my bills were current, but before I snowflaked. And if you are sure that you can pay it off in three months then great! I am not one of those people that can pay things off! That's part of the reason I am here at DSG. But just to help you feel better, I can justify the fact that I pay $60 for a haircut every 6 weeks!!! I can hear some of you gasping at how unfrugal that is. I just love the cuts myperson gives. She cuts so great that I can wash and go, saving me tons of time in the morning! So we all have stuff that we think we need, but really we want. I considered giving that up, but I would feel really deprived, now it is in my budget!

Rebecca

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-07-2003 - 10:58pm
lucy,

my opinion is if your dd needed a new mattress, then you did the right in purchasing her one. why should she have to be the one to buy the mattress. as parents it's our obiligation to provide these things for our children.

the important part is for you to budget, so you can pay the mattress before you are charged interest.

don't feel like you have to stand in the corner.

mym

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-09-2003 - 9:52am
Oh I hope you didn't feel like I was lecturing you as I posted about accrued interest if you don't get it paid off. I was just trying to make sure you were aware that, that can happen.