Found a gold mine for building supplies

iVillage Member
Found a gold mine for building supplies
Sat, 06-07-2003 - 10:56pm
I found a wonderful surprise today while shopping for building supplies - a place called Habitat Restore, operated by Habitat for Humanity.

As some of you know, my fiance and I are refurbishing a house (investment property) and are quickly running out of cash. Our CCs are maxed to the limits and still the work is not done. I needed carpet padding CHEAP and a friend told me about the Habitat facility, so I checked it out. OMG, I wish I had found this place $3,000 ago...

Habitat Restore stocks building supplies which have been donated, stuff left over from building contractors and the like, and re-sells them to help support Habitat for Humanity's building projects.

I found hundreds of gallons of paint for $3 a gallon. Aluminum window blinds for $2 each, still new in the boxes. Wallpaper for $2 a roll and borders for 25 cents each. Even a bathroom sink, exactly like the one I bought last week for $109 at Home Depot, brand new for $60. Lumber, electrical supplies, plumbing supplies, light fixtures, carpet, insulation, siding, windows...

I did not find the padding, but bought paint and some other stuff.

Just wanted to pass the word on to all of you who need cheap supplies to fix your homes. Since Habitat for Humanity is worldwide, it's a good bet that there's a Restore warehouse in a nearby city. And the bonus that your dollars go toward a very good cause.

Msfit

&nbs

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-07-2003 - 11:02pm
msfit,

good for you.

i don't own a home yet, but i'll keep that on mine for when i do.

mym

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-08-2003 - 12:45am
Oh, I was so excited when I saw this! What a cool idea. So I went and looked on the website-there are NO ReStores in Minnesota. :( Sounds like you got some great deals, though! We have an older house that we're working on, bit by bit, so I know all about trying to get all the supplies without having to pat the checkbook and say,"There there", LOL.

I hope that others have better luck!

~Lisa

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-09-2003 - 10:45pm
Here's the link to Habitat Restore locations in the US:

http://www.habitat.org/env/restoreusa.html

And locations in Canada:

http://www.habitat.org/env/restorecanada.html

Hope this helps someone out there - sure did help me.

Msfit

&nbs

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-09-2003 - 11:23pm
Thank you for the links. And we have a store here in Calgary!!!!

Sandra (who is going to keep this info for when I am a homeowner once again).

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-10-2003 - 12:20pm
Awesome! Thanks so much! I found one and the warehouse just happens to be right by dh's work! lol We have tons of projects to do around the house and we will definitely be checking them out! I'm excited!

Thanks again!

Michelle

signature 2008