Did something good today...

iVillage Member
Did something good today...
Sun, 06-08-2003 - 10:54pm
I called the phone company and had my caller ID, my call waiting, and long distance unhooked. I also had my long distance switched to a cheaper plan. I am going to save around 25.00 per month doing this. Also, I am calling my cable company in the A.M. and switching back to dial up, which will save around 30.00 per month. I sold my son's Little Tykes bed and mattress for 100.00 which will go on my daughter's new mattress.I am going tomorrow to speak with a local tech school about enrolling in a nursing program, which should be able to assist me in financing also. I am determined to get out of my dead end job and find a better paying one. Hope everyone had a great weekend! Sure has been beautiful weather here in TN!

Lucy
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-08-2003 - 11:40pm
Congrats on lots of positive steps this weekend Lucy! You're really finding all the extras that you're willing to cut - and that's great.

Thanks for sharing your good debt deeds with us!

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-09-2003 - 9:40am
Congratulations Lucy!

I am very glad to see that you're looking at ways to cut expenses.

Sometimes I find that I "mourn" or "grieve" over something I've decided to cut. Just keep in mind that it's temporary, if once you get out of this situation you decide that an expense you've cut is one that you'd like to get back, there's no reason not to. Or even if you cut something that you think you don't want to cut, give yourself a 3 month "trial period" without it. DH and I have an understanding that nothing is a permanent thing here, if we want something back we can have it back.

I have personally mourned our high speed internet for a while and did the "trial period" with cutting that expense. It doesn't faze me at all now to be back at dialup. DH is a major tech junkie and although he survived the trial and agreed we could keep it cut, I had to give him a verbal promise that once we're debt free we'll get his high speed internet back for him :-)

I also occassionally miss scooting around quickly in a car. We decided to sell it and use transit and cabs. But when/if I get feeling like that, I tell myself that I can have any of my cut expenses back anytime I want, it's not about deprivation, it's about priorities and making a conscious effort & feeling good about your choices. But what would I rather do, pay off the debt, or pay alot for a car and related automobile expenses right now? Paying the debt always wins. So DH in turn has a verbal promise with me that once we're debt free we'll save cash for a little putt putt car (I don't want any loans).

Congratulations Lucy, and I am really really really really really really proud of you for starting to take some steps. I don't know if I have accentuated that enough :-) Like, I'm REALLY proud here. Atta girl, keep your chin up and keep a positive attitude!

Lorraine

Edited 6/9/2003 9:46:07 AM ET by birdiecheeks

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-09-2003 - 12:58pm
Lucy, good for you! Now by adding that all up you have come up with 265.00 to pay towards your bed! I am so glad your are taking these baby steps.

Sandra :)

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-09-2003 - 10:12pm
good for you, girl.

mym