I got a promotion!

iVillage Member
I got a promotion!
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 12:00pm
I am still in shock! I am taking over as the manager in my division in July. The promotion comes with an $11,000 dollar raise!!!!!!!! Now I will be able to afford the washer and dryer that I am going to charge on a 12 month 0% card and know that it will be paid for before the end of the 12 months! I can also afford some luxuries that I was going to have to live without since my divorce, like home phone (was going to use my cell, but with family out of state, I really want to be able to call long distance), basic cable tv, and my almost 5 year old can take gymnastics. I will still have plenty of money to put towards my debt. I know that I should just do without those luxuries, but I am making a choice not to and I am not complaining about it! I am just excited to know that I can afford it and not compromise my getting out of debt journey.

Thanks for letting me share!

Kathie

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 12:36pm
Congratulations on the promotion!!

That's a big raise. I'm sure you deserve it. I definitely think you have to allow some luxuries in your budget. Otherwise, you end up feeling really deprived and are more likely to way overspend. Your luxuries are pretty tame. Make sure you do something nice for yourself also. The trick is pretending that you really got less of a raise, so that you can live below your means. The last thing you want to do is send all of that money out the door as soon as you get it. This is easier said than done. I've never been able to accomplish this. Make sure you increase your savings, along with debt repayment, and some luxuries. It just all needs to be in balance.

I agree with you about having a landline phone. I think I will always keep a landline phone eventhough I do have a cell. I live in the Baltimore, MD and work in Wash, D.C. On 9/11, my cell phone was useless because I couldn't get a call through. Cell phone capacity is much less than landlines. In a major emergency, I don't think you can depend on them.

Congratulations.

Momtochris

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 1:52pm
hi kathie,

i haven't seen any post from you for a while. glad to hear from you. congratulations on your promotion. that is just great.

splurge if u want to. the important thing is that you are able to pay it. don't add more debt. sounds like you'll have alot left over for snowflaking.

congrats again.

mym

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 2:19pm
Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. Enjoy your new job, and your new income!

Lee Ann

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com