Spend, spend, SPEND!!!

iVillage Member
Spend, spend, SPEND!!!
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 3:54pm
When I was a kid, and I'd be talking about going shopping or spending money, my father used to look at me and say in a sarcastic tone: "Spend, spend, SPEND!" This was his way (reverse psychology???) of saying DON'T spend! It was hard to try to explain to him that a GIRL needs stuff......he was always trying to save money, but unfortunate circumstances were always against him like my moher's illness, and he never was able to truly save successfully, but he was always trying! The bills were always paid. Well, these days I still hear him saying that to me...I'm having bouts of stress spending....ugh....Spend, spend, SPEND..........

Anyone else have family sayings about money?

Littlesbigs

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 4:01pm
Rob Peter to pay Paul. Not very helpful or insightful, but we were pretty poor growing up. Single mom raising 3 kids and sending them Catholic school. Mom had it tough and always charged everything. She still does - but as she says now - you can't take it with you and she is right, but now she only has herself to worry about.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 4:02pm
Remember that saying, "Shop 'til you drop" from the 80's? My dad always jokingly used that with me when we went on shopping sprees. He still brags about the time he "dropped" me at the mall--usually he would tire out before me. But, he relishes the fact that he was able to tire me out once! And I wonder why I have shopping/debt problems!

Akirez

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 8:30pm
"Money is the root of all evil," as my grandmother liked to say. I never understood this one, exactly. I understood her teachings that the LOVE of money leads to greed, envy, jealousy etc... but to say it is the root of ALL evil??

Msfit

&nbs

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 9:49pm
I was always told I have champagne taste on a beer budget. I remember my grandmother telling me this when I was a small child.

Funny - it's still somewhat true :)

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 10:29am
My grandma had a sign on her beauty shop door. It said " I owe, I owe, so off to work I go." When she retired she gave it to me to hang in my cubicle.

Also, my grandpa used to call grammy and I "shopping rats" because we would search every corner of the mall.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 12:34pm
I guess this is the one that got me in trouble....."Life is ours to be spent not saved."
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 1:38pm
My 95 year old grandma gave me a keychain the other day that says "I'll shop, I'll buy, In debt, I'll die"...cracked me up, but man, the truth hurts!!!