dont know what to do

iVillage Member
dont know what to do
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 8:38pm
I've been paying a debt off to a collectoin agecy i have been sending them something EVERY month. I got a notice today stating they took all my money out of my checking account. They didnt even give me the notice either they gave it to my boyfriend. I got 100 dollars to put into the account that will cover the rest of the garnisment. The money they took was not even from my paycheck they took my WHOLE child support check. THis company will not work with me .....I have an appoitment with a lawyer tuesday. If anybody could give me any advice about this it would be apprecated in the mean time i have to figure out how to feed my kids untill i get paid again......I cant win and this is all over 400 dollars...that all i owe em/
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 9:47pm
I definitely suggest talking to your lawyer. I am not aware of their ability to take money (nor would the bank release your money) without a judgment against you. They can't obtain a judgment against you w/o notifying you of your responsibility to show up in court and answer their allegations.

This just doesn't make sense. You may wish to contact your bank to see how this was allowed to happen - the bank should have copies of any legal documents that were provided. Hopefully the lawyer can help you!

All my best,

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 10:08am
I suggest what Danni said. Defninitely go to the bank and find out what happened. If the bank doesn't have any documentation for w/d the money then they could get in big trouble. I would be upset too! Hang in there!

Michelle

signature 2008

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 6:09pm
Well I found out that the company does have a judegment against me. I was told that because they couldnt find me they could do it without notification. I talk to the lawyer and he said i have a case and he said ill be getting the money back ive been making 700 a month with 2 young dependents and they cant count child support. They lawyer said that he is going to argue that i need that money because im below poverty level. I'm still very angry ....and this is the last straw i am tired of trying to pay my way out of debt....I just found i have to get surgrey i have no insurace thats going to be another 10,000.......I have talked to the lawyer about declaring bankruptcy
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-13-2003 - 10:00am
Hi Brezzyday,

You sure sound tired. And sick. Try to do something good for yourself. A hot bubble bath, or cup of cocoa, paint your toenails, something cheap, easy, and quick to do for yourself. We are not our debt, and sometimes I forget that too. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not an oncoming train. Like the Winter Warlock, sometimes we have to just keep putting one foot in front of the other...(now don't make me sing to you to cheer you up, I can't carry a tune in a paper bag...)

Positive thoughts coming your way for a stress and debt-free weekend. Or even an hour.

Lee Ann

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-13-2003 - 10:58am
You may not be able to carry a tune but now I have that song running through my head!!!

;) Although, he is a great icon to use as an illustration for this board & debt...Hmm..."The Winter Warlock Snowflakes" Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.....

Becky

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-13-2003 - 2:05pm
Awww jeez, now you did it...put one foot in front of the other, soon you'll be walking 'cross the floooooor....aaaaaaccccckkkkk!!! My dh absolutely loves that show..we even got it on tape for him (big 31 yr old kid, anyways!).

Anyways, in response to the original message, I had to file bankruptcy, and as sad as it is, the relief is absolutely priceless. No more love notes from the courts, no more sweet threatening messages on the machine, no more "gentle" reminders in the mailbox.

It's a personal decision, one that was the very last straw for us, but we messed up and now we will try to be much more careful in the future. Just say no to plastic!!! Our new motto!

Tanya