Have to re-pay unemployment?

iVillage Member
Have to re-pay unemployment?
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 10:32am
Yesterday in the mail, my DF got a letter from the unemployment bureau of the state he used to live in. It was a bill for almost $600! Basically, all it stated was that he had been "overpaid" and now he had to pay it back! He hasn't lived there for over 2 years, and his unemployment ended with them 4 years ago! They've been charging interest, yet this is this is the first statement he's ever gotten. Can they do this? Isn't it their responsibility to determine how much he's paid, and if they screw up, it's their fault?
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 1:55pm
Hello,

I'm sure each state is different, so you'd have to check with the unemployment agency in the state he got the bill from. Here in Massachusetts, my aunt was overpaid by unemployment, and she had to pay it back. She arranged to give them $50, interest-free, for as long as it took to repay, I think she said two years, but maybe she said five. I think she requested a hearing, kind of like you can do with a traffic ticket, and lost, and said she could only pay $50/month, and the judge or tribunal said okay. Sorry I don't have more details.

Good luck,

Lee Ann

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 8:24pm
I work for a lawyer and have seen people charged criminally for overpayment of unemployment compensation. Your DH needs to address this matter even though it was several years ago.