OT ?

iVillage Member
OT ?
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 11:31am
Okay this is way off topic. If you had to plan a training conference for 75 people where would you hold it? Some of these people will be traveling great distances so the distance from the airport to the training city needs to be within 30 - 45 minutes (preferably closer to the 30 min).

Any thoughts? Oh and it needs to be in the US, I already tried to request for Hawaii, but my boss said no!

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: chinadoll1965
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 12:40pm
Trying checking for availability at a university or college. They usually have conference areas they will rent to you for a smaller fee than a private conference center. Another idea would be to check into a hotel for conferencing- the people can stay in the hotel, usually at a discounted conference rate, and they are right on site in the conference and facilities area.

I've conducted many, many trainings at hotels, and many, many at universities. We've gone to Saint Louis (where the local economy is taking a hit so we got really good rates) and New York City (same thing). The last one we did was in Nashville, TN.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 1:09pm
We've been to Nashville already, trying to find something different. We thought about St. Louis and right now looking into Denver. Funny thing is that we have $$ to spend - about 200K, but the powers to be will hit us on things like rental cars - do you really rental cars for all 68 attendees? Well no not really but we need to spend $$.

Knowing the group that will be there, I think hotels will be better than colleges/universities.

Where did you stay in St Louis?

Boss still said no to Hawaii. I will get a work related trip there yet! LOL

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 1:29pm
Just found this while I was checking email:

http://www.bcentral.com/articles/msnfeature/jun03_05.asp?LID=34245

We conducted two large (150) trainings (it was a logistical miracle really) at the St. Louis Airport Hilton. It is very close to the airport (across the street really). My only complaint was that there were not enough nearby resturants and I'm veggie.

Someone in my office also suggested checking in to the Hyatt Regency in Boston. They apparently have some good package rates for conferencing.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 2:45pm
How about Orlando--super close to the airport, lots of hotels, a convention center, lots of restaurants. Instead of rental cars, they have shuttle vans that serve somewhat as taxis, so it's great for moving larger groups around. I went there for a trade show a few years ago and it's a great set-up for business meetings/conferences.

Akirez

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 3:07pm
I guess I should have listed the places we have already been - We've been to Orlando, Palm Springs, Nashville and already have something planned for San Antonio. We will be going towards the end of August so no place that is too hot or humid.

I can't believe the difficulty I am having coming up with a place to go. They should just let me do Hawaii! LOL

Right now I think we are looking at Denver or St Louis.

Thanks for the ideas! Oh by the way, last conference we had in Orlando - too many people skipped out to see Mickey so I highly doubt we will ever go there again.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 3:44pm
Too bad it has to be in the US - I'll bet Quebec would be gorgeous at the end of August.

How about Alaska? Or Lake Tahoe?

It would take you more than 35 minutes to get from Boston's Logan airport to a non-airport hotel. It took us 2 hours to get home last night, and we only live 40 miles away...ugh. We're moving in about two years.

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 3:59pm
How about Seattle? and no I am not saying that because I am a native. The economy is hurting since Boeing left. Lots of attractions and there's hardly ever any rain in August so you can see the beautiful ocean and the true "emerald city". They have tons of places for conferences here. In fact I have one at the end of July at Safeco Feild (the baseball stadium) they have a meeting during the day and then everyone is treated to an evening of baseball in the club box. Everyone usually has high spirits and I've never heard anyone complain. (Even if it's not Seattle I would check out Stadiums, There rooms are usually gorgeous and you get to have fun!) Sorry it's not Hawaii, I am still working on trying to get a meeting in California!
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 4:26pm
I suggested Seattle and my boss said no way - too much rain. I might just have to look into Seattle, just some prices and info and see if I can't convince him. Seattle works for me, I have some friends who live out that way and I love to go to places where I have friends.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 5:16pm
Your boss is right 10 out of 12 months But for some reason we get Indian summers here and if he complains about the rain again, tell him last weekend it as 89 degrees, and if he still complains get him an umbrella and ask him why he is so afraid of rain. "I'm melting, I'm melting!!"
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 5:36pm
I second Seattle. We went out there for a conference (this time DSO's) in February and the weather was gorgeous, the city is gorgeous, and the people were gorgeous. I abolutely fell in love with it. Been trying to get DSO to move out there for good. The one negative for conferencing is that the airport is not exactly near anything- but it's not far, far away either (weirdly enough it has a great view of Ranier out the Northwest terminal window...lol!)

Pages