I knew this would happen....

iVillage Member
I knew this would happen....
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 11:00pm
How come it's an all or nothing deal on everything in life? Or so it seems?

Hee Hee. I was out for a bit and when I came home DH went "guess what? I have a job interview tomorrow afternoon!"

You know...he only has 3 more days of training left for Real Estate besides the a day here a day there things!! And then he gets this. It will put us in the hole more as it will be $1 more per hour than unemployment BUT then you take taxes out and it will be less. The thing is it's only a temp for 1 year with after that time the possibility of going permanent. It's with a big name company so that is really good but if it's only temp, I'm assuming that means no benefits and well...that basically leaves us where we are at plus less money each month...Hmmm...plus then he would have to do Real Estate part-time and from my understanding the signing on process, etc... is different than full-time agents.

Yes, I know he hasn't been offered the job but from what DH said the way the guy was talking, they sounded desperate...they offered him 1st, 2nd or 3rd shift, told him the hourly wage and other things that DH just got the impression that if you know how to enter data in a computer, they'll hire you. We will see what happens.

Anyway, just thought I would update everyone and I definately appreciate & thank those that have been keeping us in your prayers & thoughts.

Becky

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 11:36am
Wow Becky - what do you thing DH will do? Seems like R.E. can be unsteady, but GOOD income if he's got the time and personality to "work it" :) But an hourly job that pays less than unemployment? Wow.

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 12:07pm
I know...unemployment doesn't cover our bills now, how would a job that ends up paying us less be a very good move. I couldn't sleep much last night with going over things in my head and thinking about what we should/shouldn't do, etc...

Hmmm...but we couldn't figure out if we had a loop-hole how to get around it, mostly because the part that bugs me the most is that it is a contract right up front that will only last a year, which means that in a year, he won't have a job again AND then I'm not even sure he would qualify for unemployment at that time since the company may have it done in such a way that, as you know upfront this is just a 1-year assignment, you won't qualify.

I know that if he turns down a legitimate job offer he will be disqualified for unemployment, there is however several reasons that you may turn one down and I think 1 may apply, being that "if the hours, wages or working conditions are less than a similar job in the same community" you don't have to take it. I know this might be stretching it but I'm thinking that since it's not a true full time employment offer (i.e. it will only last 1 year) that could qualify as a working condition that is unacceptable. I know it might be a stretch but if it was a bona fide offer with benefits, etc... I wouldn't be as picky (I know I can't afford to be picky but I just can't see what good it is going to do to take a job where we still qualify for food stamps & Medicaid!!! And that in a year we will be in a worse position than we are now when the job ends. That makes no sense to me at all, I'm not expecting him to make as much as he did before but more than he's making on unemployment would be nice!!).

I told him to counter-offer with asking for more per hour just can't see it working for us with the wage they are offering. That would make a difference but in the logical sense of things, since he does have his RE license now, etc... that he should turn down that offer and just see if A. He gets a *real* job offer and B. Let's see how the Real Estate goes.

Of course, he technically hasn't been offered the job either. LOL!

Becky

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 2:13pm
Becky,

I'm new to the board, so if I am totally out of line here, please just ignore this post ...

I understand that taking a temporary job that pays less than unemployment sounds like the wrong route to go, but on the positive side ... quite often the temporary job is the best way to get your foot in the door of a large company. Many large corporations start someone off in a temporary job before they are willing to take the risk and offer the permanent position (with all of the benefits and perks). If you DH gets in and does a good job, it is very likely that he will be offered a permanent position.

Worried about the possiblity of not being offered the permanent position and the temporary job ending in a year? DH will still have a year to keep looking for a permanent position elsewhere or work his way into real estate.

Regarding real estate... my DH decided to change career directions and also went to school and got his real estate license. But after many $$ spent on the education and licensing fees, it was difficult to get a return on the investment. Since a real estate agent is basically an independent contractor, you have to pay the RE agency to become a member of their team (for sales seminars, supplies, office use, etc.). A beginning agent has to split any commissions with the RE brokerage he's working for. Depending on your market, if its very competitive it may be difficult to build up your clientele (even if you are very talented at selling!). My DH was finally building a clientele when we relocated to a more competitive market (say 200+ agents competing to represent the same house) and he had to give up real estate. Of course, with a real estate license, your DH could also investigate the possibility of working in property management ...

So, taking a "temporary" job for less than unemployment may not be the best for your family right now, but eventually unemployment runs out (at least in my state it does...). Give more thought to the "temporary" job as a potential opening to a brighter future. And as you mentioned in your post, perhaps DH could negotiate a better starting wage ...

Best of luck and my thoughts are with you. {{{hugs}}}

Andrea

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 2:55pm
Yes, unemployment DOES run out eventually. It was the way things sounded that had me going "Hmmm..." and my intuition was correct. LOL!! He is supposed to hear back by Monday, and that would be to go interview with the actual company.

However, it isn't through the company at all. It's through a temp agency that pre-screens the people first, etc... I knew there seemed like there were some "other issues" at play here because some things weren't adding up. Plus when he came home, they were trying to tell him it was at a different location at first (like a 2 hour drive one...They had to check and told DH he was correct that it was the closer place, etc...).

So, we still have time to mull over the best route if he's offered it instead of having to do a rash decision and if he can negotiate just a bit more per hour, etc...

Becky

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-20-2003 - 8:36am
A word of caution about temp agencies ... BTDT ... they will do or say anything to get you on board if they have a definite placement for you, after all, that's how they make their $$. It can open the door to opportunity, but they have no loyalty to you. It would be worthwhile to try to negotiate a higher rate once there's interest from the hiring company. Stick with your intuition, "gut feelings" usually lead you in the right direction.

Best of Luck!