Got a new job today!

iVillage Member
Got a new job today!
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 12:43am
I got a consulting job today...Seems my resume got quite a positive reponse when the hiring managers were contacted with it...if the job I interviewed for today didn't pan out, there was another manager who really wanted to see me, too! I interviewed at 1PM and got the offer at 3PM. I really felt like an idiot walking out of the interview, but I got it! The account manager was really excited to know I knew and had worked for a couple managers at the new company at my previous company, too.....He was making calls to them right after I said that...he says to me, "Oh, you're a LOCK on a position here."...........so folks, there REALLY is something to NETWORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to give those who don't know me some info.....I got laid off in December, took of 3 months and did nothing...started to rewrite my resume in April...started posting my resume on monster.com in May and a couple companies called me from the Monster resume! I interviewed at 3 consulting companies that added me to their "stable of stars" but didn't have anything available for me and then all of a sudden they all started calling me with new positions being posted.............and now here I am!

To celebrate, will make a big snowflake payment this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all of you who are looking for jobs: Don't give up! Meet new people and contact the old friends...you'll be surprised to see what happens!

We are all stars! Littlesbigs

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 6:17am
That's great news! I do remember when you were laid off. We are both "Lay-off Survivors" now :) I will be at my 'new' job a year on July 29. I can hardly believe it.

My old boss called me a couple of weeks ago to let me know that the (then) new director, who had eliminated my position, has been fired. Along with about 15 other positions including managers. In retrospect I'm glad I got the early boot off that sinking ship.

All's well that ends well, right?? I'm really happy to hear your news!

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 6:58am
Thanks, Beeking! Yes, we are layoff survivors! I ,too, was on a sinking ship, and I was out of there at the right time. If I was laid off in 2003 rather than December 2002, I'd be getting a much lesser severance package, too. I am so fortunate that I was able to continue paying the bills comfortably. I learned a lot about myself during this time, too.

I know I have a big job ahead of me to get acclimated to a new environment and new work, but I am looking forward to it!

Littlesbigs

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 10:00am
~*~*~*~*~*~~*Congrats!~*~*~*~*~*~