Depressed over Financial Situation

iVillage Member
Depressed over Financial Situation
Fri, 06-20-2003 - 3:12pm
I'm new here. It has been a long, rough road for my husband and me. We have three children, ages 4, almost 3 and almost 5 months, plus my husband has two children from his first marriage, and he has to pay support for them. My husband was out of work for three months two years ago, and he was out of work for six weeks the year before that. It has been a major struggle. It seems like no matter how hard we work, we can't get caught up. I am so depressed right now, I just cant' stand it. We have applied for a home equity loan to try and consolidate some of our debt so we can get caught up. I could use some encouragement, a friend who has been through this. I have no one to talk to. Any encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks.
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-20-2003 - 6:44pm
Welcome to the DSG Mary. Many of us have been in similar financial situations. I'm unemployed currently, and it's a definite struggle at times. Please feel free to post as often as you like - we know how it feels, and you shouldn't feel alone during such times of stress.

Welcome. You're among friends here.

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-20-2003 - 11:11pm
I just wanted to say hi. You won't be alone here--there's always someone who's been through it here.

Right now money is so tight in my life that things are almost squeaky...I work as a temp and from mid-Jan-end of April I was making decent money, but I have had less than half-time work since the end of April. I had one day of work this week, and none at all last week, and there's nothing lined up for next week either. I have big bills to pay and I'm almost at the bottom of my savings account. I am really trying to keep the fear at bay--fear and panic used to be really immobilizing to me. I would get scared and depressed and go charge something to make myself feel better--like somehow things couldn't be too bad if I still had enough credit to buy something...

I just posted to someone else that the one thing that I have learned on my long road to really trying to get out of debt is that you have to have faith and trust that things will be okay. This assumes that you are trying to take care of yourself and are being responsible and making the most sensible choices...but I have learned to be strong and be brave, and that makes it all so much easier to bear. I have struggled with major depression for a long time too. I guess I just wanted to say hi and let you know that you aren't alone. Knowing I wasn't alone was one of the biggest helps to me when I first found this board.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-21-2003 - 4:38pm
I know how hard it is to get debts paid down. I've been trying to pay down my credit cards for three years now; I'm almost there. I've got $6,800 more to go. But I've had to learn to deny myself a lot of things that I wanted.
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-22-2003 - 8:52am
Just wanted to welcome you to our group!!

We can understand your frustration!!

A great place here to blow off some steam and also to have a cheering section when you make some progress (no matter how small).

Becky

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 9:01am
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. It helps to know you're not alone.
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-27-2003 - 1:00pm
Hi,

Hang in there! You are in the right place! Now got to Half.com and look for the book or audio by jerold Mundis called How to get out of debt, stay out of debt and live posperously! Listen or read everyday! It help! Good luck!
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-10-2003 - 3:49pm
I just wanted to tell you that I loved this post and I'm including it in my monthly report as an example of how outstanding DSG and Money are. :o)

Ms Joe

Ms Joe
CM Ms Joe Cool
Senior Community Moderator
moneylifecm@mail