silly question

iVillage Member
silly question
Fri, 06-20-2003 - 8:54pm
Ok... not to be a total dork... and I did try to figure this out on my own, but what do some of the abbreviations people use mean?

I can figure that dh means something husband... what does the "d" stand for? (damn? hehe) and ds and dd are something son and daughter.

and what is (m) in the subject?

Thanks!!!

Miki

iVillage Member
In reply to: tabbycator
Fri, 06-20-2003 - 9:47pm
Hi Miki,

I was also confused when I got here. You can check out the meanings of the abbreviations here:

http://www.ivillage.com/ivillage/boards/about/pages/0,,266096_563995,00.html

Happy posting!

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-21-2003 - 10:33am
Hee hee. I still have trouble too sometimes, and I've been doing this for years, lol. But you are half right about the "d" in "dh"! It can mean that or, "dear"--depending on your mood and his behavior recently. LOL (that means "laughing out loud").

The "m" means "more" as in, "there's more in the body of the message." With the old board formats, this was more important because it was frequent and useful at times to post a response that was completely contained inside the title of the message, so sometimes there was no point in clicking through to the body of the message. When there was nothing in the body, people would put "nt," meaning "no text." I don't think people do that as often with the new board format.

BGL,

Heather

P.S. I just made that abbreviation up for one of my more common sign-offs--"blessings and good luck." LOL

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-21-2003 - 12:58pm
Thank you both! I could figure out most of them because they are the same if you go in a chat room or something, but I couldn't figure out what that "d" meant!

Miki