It's Sunday - got any "cheap" plans??

iVillage Member
It's Sunday - got any "cheap" plans??
Sun, 06-22-2003 - 10:21am
Seems many of us struggle over the weekend to contain our costs and curtail our spending. Let's share ideas of what to do on a Sunday that's free and fulfilling.

Myself - I plan to completely declutter, reorganize and clean the garage. I should take hours - it will cost me nothing - and I will have a great sense of accomplishment and relief when I'm done.

Happy Sunday everyone!

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-22-2003 - 11:14am
Normally, our Sunday consists of going to church, grilling out for lunch (yes, even in the winter! It's our "standard" Sunday lunch, hamburgers. LOL!) and then basically veg out the rest of the day.

So usually Sunday's our our cheap days.

Today we are going to watch my DD march in our local festival parade with her gymnastics team! We have actually watched several years. It's something that is free and the kids like it. Although we have been known to buy lunch there too. This is the first year we actually have someone participating in it. LOL!

Unfortunately, we have to leave straight after she is done (her group is 12th in the line-up), as my uncle passed away a few days ago and they are having his visitation this afternoon, so we will head down there for a while. It's about an hour or so drive for us, so we can't stick around to watch the end of the parade like I had planned to do (I just hope I can get out with the traffic!! We may be stuck watching the entire parade in the car! EEK!). I hope I can find a place to park that I can actually get out of before the parade is over without too much difficulty (I don't want to park too far away as DD will already be really tired from the parade, I hate to make her walk a ton more).

Becky

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-22-2003 - 11:46am
Well, I spent the entire day yesterday sorting, tidying and cleaning--as I did for most of Wed, Thurs, and Friday. The difference yesterday was that I got it all done and it feels so much better in here--there are a few things left to do but I need to wait for some help with those things.

Anyway, my suggestions for cheap or free weekend things to do are--walk, bike ride...it used to be free to park in provincial parks, but not anymore; however, there are still regional parks where we can go and one thing I want to start doing is bird-watching. However, will need an expensive pair of binoculars for that, so not at the moment, except what I do from my windows.

Okay, my "triumph" this week was that I found one place in town where a one-quart (approx.) size slurpee is only 65 cents if you save your cup and get a refill--so I've been keeping the cup and washing and taking it back; it beats $1.49. I'm allowing myself these instead of Starbucks drinks.

The other thing that I am doing is either reading library books or watching the cheap shelf movie rentals--no new releases: it's $2 instead of $5, and I don't rent movies very often.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-22-2003 - 12:18pm
HI! My Sunday today will not be "cheap" necessarily...I have a 100 round=trip visit to the "outlaws'" house today for a meal and see an uncle my SO hasn't seen in a year. We can't spend a long time there, but it's just the 100 mile trip that I don't consider cheap........by cash or time. And I think I think so over the time more than cash now... SO's parents lived 3 blocks from here 6 months ago. The frequency of visits

has been a lot since they moved because the family has had some big changes, and we've had to visit often. I think after this we can have a 6 week break from any visits there.

For cheap Sunday activities, I like to go to the library, learn new stuff on my computer, visit friends or talk on the phone to teh ones that live nearby (tollfree), work on crafts, go for walks, watch videos, go to the gym (can't today....), clean the house, play board games, bake something, enjoy the newspaper, write letters and in my journal, take bubblebaths and play around with my cosmetics and beauty products......Sundays can be tough for cheap entertainment..........

Hoping your Sundays are happy! Littlesbigs

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-22-2003 - 2:06pm
I am roasting a chicken that I got on sale yesterday, cleaning the guest bedroom/my office (crammed full of papers, LOL!), and sorting through stuff to put in my yardsale.

A yardsale is a wonderful summer activity--it takes lots of time to plan, gets rid of all the stuff you no longer need around the house, and brings in much-needed cash!!!

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-22-2003 - 2:19pm
Well I am doing housework too! I would rather be at the beach though, but I had my lazy day yesterday! I am also reading a book I borrowed, writing (I write fiction) and I went to the nursing home to visit my gramma this morning! Busy day!!!! And free, except for a little driving! DH is working today so I have some peace. We had a fight about money this morning, that hasn't happened for a while, but we both got careless and now we are cash poor until payday 10 days from now. yuck. But I am not going to dwell on the fight because we have been flat broke plenty before, so we just have to deal!!!

Becky, sorry about your uncle.

Rebecca J.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-22-2003 - 3:39pm
Rebecca - check out eBay for binocs. Most beginning birders use 8x magnification binocs - they allow in lots of light, and it makes it easy to see variations in color. With time, you find you want to get a bit "closer" to your subjects, and once you're good at identifying many species, you're willing to trade off the brightness of the image for closer image - and maybe go up to 10x magnification. My guess is that you'll find lots of 8x binocs on ebay (fingers crossed). They're great!

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-22-2003 - 11:35pm
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. My bf actually has a cheap pair that I can't see anything out of, no matter how hard I try...when I was home last weekend, I discovered that there is a pair there. They belong to the man my mum lives with (who isn't my dad and isn't my stepdad either, and they aren't married, so I can't refer to him as her husband....) and anyway, these ones were fantastic. They are very old, that was obvious, but they were so good. I was looking at a bird that must have been 50-60 feet away up a tree, and it looked so close. I will keep ebay in mind for when the day comes that I can buy a good pair of binoculars!
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 8:42am
My Sunday went really well. I cut out the fabric for my wedding dress, then taught a dance lesson, then went food shopping. We're consistently over on the food budget though, so we'll have to come up with something to fix that.

Lee Ann

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 10:02am
beach

park

walking

bike ride

gardening

working on house