I had a horrible dream last night

iVillage Member
I had a horrible dream last night
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 11:31am
Even though we're nearly out of debt ($5000 in student loans left)

I dreamed that we charged everything back up! It felt so real!

We've been slacking off a little bit lately and spending too much.

Not charging, just not putting as much toward our debt or saving as I'd like.

I also really want laser eye surgery and my husband's encouraging

me to finance it. It kind of irritates me because I'm the one who

worked really hard to get all of our debt paid off.

I must be anxious about it because I had a nightmare!

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 11:41am
I haven't had sleeping nightmares about charging up debt--I have just recently had awake horrible feelings about my recent spate of charging--new shoes, car insurance, vet bill, some stuff from Ikea. Turns out I can't pay it all off by the time it's due because I am not getting work through the temp agency as I was counting on...I've put the card away and decided that I am so happy NOT using a credit card unless I know I can go home and pay the whole thing off immediately. No more of this taking chances being able to pay it off.

I know the feeling--it is sickening panic whether you are awake or dreaming!!

As for eye surgery, I really want that too. I am shortsighted, but I can barely see my own hand in front of my face without my glasses. I have to stick my head into drawers to see what's in there if I don't have my glasses. Heaven help me if I ever lose them! My "plan" had been to finance it after I pay off all of my credit card debt, but my new (and I am thinking better) plan is to save concurrently with paying off my debt, that way I should have close to the amount needed to pay for it by the time I have paid off my credit card debt.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 11:04am
I'm not sure where you live, but I went up to Canada, just 3.5 hours from my house, and had laser surgery there. It was only $1300 for both eyes, a fraction of the $4K per eye cost here in Boston. Of course, two months later I started working at a venture capital firm that covered it under their insurance...

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 11:59am
Thanks. I actually looked into that. I live in Wisconsin but because

of the Great Lakes, it's quite a drive to a major city in Canada.

I even thought about flying since airfare is so cheap.

But then I wondered how I would do the follow up appointments.

I read on one website that you can arrange that with a local doctor?

I recently saw that Southern California has it for $499 an eye!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 12:18pm
I double checked and Canada now offers it at $399 an eye!!

It might be worth a trip if I can find a local doctor that

will do the follow-ups.

Thanks again!
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 12:43pm
My uncle went to Canada as well to get his laser surgery done since it was so much cheaper, I think at least 2yrs ago now and we live in the midwest, so he flew up there. I don't know what he did about the follow-up appts though. Heck, even with airfare and everything if it all turns out cheaper in the long run I would go that route! lol

JM2cents

Michelle

signature 2008

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 1:04pm
I think my word of caution would be to really see how much experience a surgeon/clinic has if they are offering surgery for $399-$499 per eye. That is often a hook to get people in the door so that surgeons can get practice...I had a breast reduction surgery last year and the surgeon was very young, and he did not do a very good job!! So that's my word of caution--find out the credentials of the surgeon before you go to a place just because it is cheap.

I live in BC and there is a good clinic here; my friend had her laser eye surgery there and is happy with it. It has a very good reputation and aparently they have a lot of clientele from Washington state (and probably Oregon, etc.). I will find the web link if anyone is interested. I think it cost about $2400 Canadian all told.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2003 - 2:03pm
I live right on the border of Wisconsin and a good friend of mine had it done in Milwaukee at the laser vision institute (www.laservisioninstitute.com) She paid $600 for both eyes, but her husbands was $1200. Apparently it depended on how bad your eyes were, but it might be something to look into closer to you. Good luck!