Action that I will take about my debt...

iVillage Member
Action that I will take about my debt...
Thu, 06-26-2003 - 11:56am
Hi Everyone!

I wrote here a few weeks ago about my family debt issues. Well we finally have some concrete plans and I'm excited about it. We are going to wait till Baby #2 is born in February then list the house for sale (we own way to much house for our money!). We will then look into purchasing a smaller home or townhouse in the Vegas/Henderson areas of Nevada (we live near Philadelphia now...Wooo it's expensive!) We have a good chunck of equity in the house so we should be able to buy a house in cash in Vegas so we will have little or no mortgage. My husband will return to school to become a dentist and work part time while the first year and a half I will become a dental hygienist. By the time I become a dental hygienist my husband will start at dental school (he has some credits he needs before he enters so it gives us a little over a year before his life gets crazy)

Now for our credit card debt we are now working on a home equity line of credit which will be at 3.4% till December. My husband who is self employed just got 2 more accounts so all the extra money will go into paying off the debt before we sell the house (we have about $30,000 in debt to pay)

I have been keeping the lights off, not driving as much, buying food as cheap as I can, using coupons, not using my credit cards or my mac card, and have done a complete overhall on my spending.

I was so excited to see my electric bill go from close to 300 a month to $160 this month! My water bill went from being near 200 every 3 months to being $75! I only spend 100 per week and that encludes everything like food etc. Now with a small child that's amazing! LOL! I've been buying less meet and trying to get creative with beans, veggies, and pastas since they are cheaper.

It's tough but I'm doing it. I am determined for my husband and I to succeed! And I want my BENZ damit!

OK, I'm done have a great day everyone and peace be with you all.

Christine

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2003 - 12:07pm
Wow, well good job for all that you have succeeded in doing so far! Doesn't it feel great when all your hard work starts to show! lol I know how you feel about the debt thing (my dh and I have $35,000 of cc debt). Really depressing at times, but I try to stay on the positive side and think of every which way that we can cut exp and bring in some extra cash. I actually scrounged up some change and such that I sent to a bill today ($72 worth! lol). I'm feeling quite proud of myself today! :-)

Hmmm....Vegas/Henderson area huh? I have an aunt/uncle that live out there! We have visited a couple of times and love it out there! Have even talked about moving out there as well! lol Except for the fact that the cost of living where we are is actually cheaper than Vegas, however, there are lots of job opportunities out there.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Michelle

signature 2008

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 7:59am
Wow I'd love to know where you live LOL! I live hear Philadelphia and it's so high the cost of living. Yes I am excited about going to Henderson NV cause I've heard such wonderful things about it.

Good luck to you too

Christine

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 12:02pm
Hi Christine,

I live in Kansas City. My aunt/uncle that live in Vegas used to live in San Diego, and they said the cost of living in Vegas was much cheaper than San Diego. It is very nice out there! Good luck!

Michelle

signature 2008