Frustrated!

iVillage Member
Frustrated!
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 2:55pm
I'm new here, and I am not exactly sure how to get started. I just know that this is a the message board for me. I am only 19, and I am incredible financial trouble. It's so very frustrating, and at times I hate myself for the choices I've made, and just wish I could start over.
iVillage Member
In reply to: vallie06
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 3:16pm
Hi, Vallie! Don't hate yourself...That's not a good spot to start. There's A LOT OF GOOD INFO on this board, so read thru. Get a handle on how much you owe and make a plan for paying it back and budgeting and saving your income, and in the meantime, stop creating any new debt. You are young, and there is a lot to this life to enjoy, and we don't need to keep debting to enjoy it.

Take a deep breath. You'll be okay if you want to be. You can start making better decisions today. Best wishes, Littlesbigs

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 3:31pm
wow, i wish i had started to think about finances at 19. you're making a great first step.....considering what getting your money under control can do for you. i think the first major step is to decide to not incur any more new debt. once you do that then you can start paying down debt. can you work extra? even for a while? can you sell anything or take something back that you bought and put that toward your first debt payment?

think about cutting down expenses...eating out, cell phones, new clothes...things to get you started. once you see the debt going down you'll be hooked!!! Good luck
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 3:45pm
I am really excited about having support for this, I just get so upset when I keep hearing about my problem from my parents, or the people to whom I owe money. I mean, I am aware of my problem, and am seriously trying to fix it, but it takes time. I work anywhere from 39 to 53 hours a week, and I live on my own (well, with two other roommates, which helps cut some of the cost of living on my own, but then again that can create more...). I have been living on my own for 8mo. now, and the bills keep piling in. It just seems that they come all at once. It was a rude awakening to the real world, and it would seem so easy to just move back home, and start over, but I'm stubborn, and am out to prove myself, and besides, I've done this to myself, and I have to pull myself back out. I just hope that by posting on here, I can get the encouragement needed in those times of self pity. Sometimes I just wish they taught kids more about finances and such in high school...it would've been wonderful in my case! :)
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 4:02pm
I sure agree with you on that we should be teaching kids about personal finance in school. Just having a big chuckle with myself over here because we teach them about sex in schools now, but I guess schools and parents are even more afraid to talk about the Bills and the Budget more than the Birds and the Bees!!!!!!

Vallie, you'll be okay. Get started and get in control. Those bills will never stop coming, but once you have a plan in place it will be a lot less painful. Littlesbigs

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 10:13am
I am 23 and in the same boat you are, and I agree the first poster was right, at least we saw the problem while still young, it gives us more time to get out of debt and change our ways before retirement and marriage and children. I only had $5000 in debt when I graduated from college and then I married my huband who brought about $8000 with him. Then we bought a house. We are able to make payments on everything but I sometimes am angry for being in debt and definately shameful. But I can tell you that once you have realized the problem sit down and make a list of all of the people/companies you owe money to, how much you owe, the interest on each account and your minimum balance. I put this list in my wallet by my debit card and cash that way whenever I am tempted to buy something, I am reminded of how much I owe and think twice. Also, talk to your parents and let them know that you are trying really hard to get out of debt, show them your plan remember that they are just trying to help you and don't want you to get in the same mess that they've either been in or know someone who has.

I agree about budget lesson in school, but would they listen? If nothing else, like sex ed it would just prepare them for debt once it happened!

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 10:30am
Wow, I am really glad I found this site! I feel really good about this right now, and I can't thank you all enough. I am just always anxious to get everything paid off at once. I know I can't though, so a little at a time is going to half to surfice.