Using Mom's and Dad's credit cards

iVillage Member
Using Mom's and Dad's credit cards
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 3:07pm
I just thought of another question to ask y'all about debting behavior: After being out on your own as an adult, have you ever used your parents' credit cards without their permission? Why did you do it? What did you spend on? How did they find out about it? How were the cards paid back to the credit card company and/or your parents?

A friend of mine has been using his parents' credit cards, and he is close to maxing them out...$7000 credit line on each. He has a family and a house and lifestyle he can't afford. After his mother got sick, she gave him the cards so he could help her pay her expenses while ill. She's now forgotten he has them, and he's having a ball playing "big shot" to his friends who he takes out to dinner on them. He's also buying a lot of useless junk at auctions. In the meantime, all his other debts are going to collections, but so he doesn't get caught, he is vigilant about paying the minimums on these cards. One of the cards is his dead father's that was never cancelled....and since they have the same name, he's getting away with it. (He must use his mother's card online. He doesn't look like an "Edith.") I just hate seeing what his family goes thru because of all the debt they already know about.....but I really don't know what will happen when his mother and his extended family discovers what he has done. I know he can't cover his tracks forever.

Thanks, Folks! Littlesbigs

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 6:44pm
That's so horrible, I would just feel sick knowing about something like that. I have never used my parents credit cards because I'd had at least 8 of my own before my mum ever got anything other than a Sears card.
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 8:24pm
that makes me feel so sad. he's a bad son and selfish.

i never used my parents' credit cards because they never had any. my parents policy has always been to buy things in cash. can you believe it, they even bought their house in cash.

my parents always been good role models in that sense.

that's why i freaked out when i found out my husband put us in extreme credit card debt.

mym

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 12:32pm
OMG...not only is that a morally bankrupt thing to do...it's also fraud. Never used a parent's credit card, with OR without permission.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 12:49pm
Wow that is awful! Sounds like he needs some serious help. As for using parent's cards, no I have never done that. Not even my grandparents (my sister and I were raised by our grandparents). But, actually they never used cc, my grandfather didn't believe in them. He always paid cash for things (even his vehicles). However, my mother maxed out one of my cards. I gave it to her cuz she was going out of town for some job training and no money for emergency's or anything like that. Well, I was dumb enough to give her the pin number to use the ATM. About 3 wks or so went by and I checked the balance on the card and I was livid. I couldn't believe that she would max out my card, knowing that it wasn't hers. What she spent the money on I have no clue, probably tons of junk as always. To avoid my ex-H finding out I had the stmts sent to her house and then finally after awhile I had them sent to me, so I could make sure that it was being paid. She gave me the money for the min mo pmt for a little while and then eventually stopped b/c she said she didn't have the money yada yada yada. So I ended up with the debt (about $2000).

Michelle

signature 2008

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 1:25pm
If he's not listed on the account it's fraud and he can be prosecuted if his mother chooses to do so.