New Here

iVillage Member
New Here
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 9:50pm
Hi,

Well..I'm new here. I promised a good friend of mine today that I was going to get my finances under control and I mean it. I've been playing this game for too many years now and I'm only 26. Funny huh? I feel like I've been playing the debt game forever and I'm still pretty young. Anyway...I made a list of everything I owe today. I've started calling creditors to let them know that I'm interested in making payments, just having a hard time making ends meet and trying to see what we can work out. I've been unemployed for 4 months. Everytime I start to get close to getting all my debts paid off it seems like something like a job loss hits.

Thankfully, I've got another job. It's just going to take a while until I get paid. I will be teaching school this Fall. I'm excited about that. However, it means a move (expensive) and I don't get paid until September (I think) or it may be October. I can't remember when they said the first check came out (Sept or Oct). At anyrate...I know I can do this, I just have to keep plugging away.

The experience that I had this evening calling people was good. Hopefully tomorrow will be just as good. This is do-able, it's just going to take time.

I get so frustrated sometimes that I just wish all of this stuff would go away? Surely some of you can relate to that feeling.

But I'm here, facing it. And oddly enough after those first two phone calls it was liberating. I know my friend is right. It's time for me to handle this stuff on my own...stop expecting to be bailed out by others when my finances mess up.

It's going to take time and effort but it is do-able. I just wanted to say hi and kind of introduce myself.

Betty

iVillage Member
In reply to: elizvaughn
Wed, 07-02-2003 - 12:10am
Betty - welcome to the Debt Support Group! Congrats on making a commitment to getting out of debt at such a critical stage in your life. I started playing the debt game in college, and it wasn't until my late 20's that I decided to do something about it - I'm still working on it, and you're right - it is manageable :)

We're all here for you as you work your way through this. I look forward to more posts from you.

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
In reply to: elizvaughn
Wed, 07-02-2003 - 10:41am
Hi Betty,

I soooo understand the feeling of wanting it all to just go away! lol I think about that alot. But the fact of the matter is, is that we need to FACE (Financial Awareness Continuously Empowers - got that from flylady! lol) our finances and take care of them. I know how easy it would be to have someone bail us out, and I have thought of that too, but one very good thing about this is that we will learn (hopefully!lol) not to do this again! lol

Well, welcome to the board and keep posting here. The support really helps to keep you on track, and it's always nice to get that *pat on the back*! lol

Michelle

signature 2008