Spending Triggers

iVillage Member
Spending Triggers
Sat, 01-24-2009 - 10:48am

Over on MyTMMO Community they were asking what your spending triggers are, soooo I was wondering what everyone's here was?

Mine are romance books, and good sales on food,

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/w9REIyy/] [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w9REIyy/debt.png[/img] [/url]

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 9:33am

Hi Jax,

We're beginning a Kick Butt challenge this week and I hope you'll stop by the board for support.

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhkickbutt

Ask a question on the Kick Butt: Quit Smoking Today message board and these experts will answer by January 30th. And be sure to tune in to the Today show on January 29 and January 30 to see Dr. Nancy Snyderman’s segments on how to Kick Butt!

Ali Domar

…addresses the link between smoking and fertility.

…outlines the “phases of contemplation” (in other words: the stages one should go through before embarking on a successful stop in smoking)

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-24-2009 - 5:54pm

Pocket books and shoes.

over 40 and tired

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-24-2009 - 3:28pm

My trigger is not so much an item, as

Kate

empty purse

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-24-2009 - 2:06pm

My spending trigger is anything on clearance! Especially kids clothes! I find it very hard to pass up a 4 dollar shirt at a designer store, even if I have 30 shirts at home! Sometimes this serves me well, like yesterday I found a brand new winter jacket I had packed away and realized it would fit my youngest right now! It was a 40+ dollar jacket that I got for 6.99 at the Gap last year. Great Deal! But at the same time, I almost missed the jacket and if I wouldn't have been going through their clothes, I would have missed it and it wouldn't fit next year. But then I could have sold it consignment with the tags still on and probably made 10 dollars on it, 3 dollars more than I payed for it!

I really need to curb this habit though because my kids have a lot of clothes and I'm tired of doing laundry. I've decided to document how many clothes they have by size and make a list of what they actually need and specifically look for those items on clearance so I don't end up with 20 shirts and 2 pants!

My other triggers are things on clearance for my house...especially at homegoods! Love homegoods! So basically, if I see things on sale, I find it hard to pass up! I'm on a mission to declutter though and I haven't bought anything for my house in a long time.

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-24-2009 - 1:09pm

My spending triggers are my kids and husband as well as things for my professional life. I justify the professional things as help for my career - like career coaching, seminars, evening professional meetings. All tax deductible and I do get valuable information and contacts, but it is a drag on the budget.
The kids and my husband are the people I love and like to indulge. My daughter especially as there is some divorce guilt there.

I am just a mess, basically!

Marie

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-24-2009 - 11:36am

My spending triggers are my smoking habit (working on determination to quit this costly addiction), and food!

Pages