Consultations

iVillage Member
Consultations
Wed, 11-12-2008 - 9:52am
Hi everyone,
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-12-2008 - 11:04am

Take a deep breath!!!
It will work out; when you meet the right one you will know. They should be very open with you and be willing to show you pics of surgeries they have done. Also talk to the nurses, etc in the office and you can get a good feel for them, too. My PS did not have the best bedside manner, but was highly recommended and showed me his "book" of patients and was very explisive as to what to expect with the surgery. I also talked to ladies in the waiting room, not asking specific questions, but just what they thought of the PS and many opened up and told me sometimes, more than I needed to know about their surgery. I found out on my second visit that he goes to Africa 3 times a year to perform free surgery on needy children over there, usually between 20-30 kids each time. That helped me realize that even though his manner was not always warm and fuzzy, he had a kind heart, which made me feel better. Also his staff was amazing and were always there for me when I had a question. I also went online and read about the surgeon and how long he had been in practice and his qualifications. I just googled his name.
This is a huge decision, yes, but you will find it is the best one you will make for yourself. Be patient, it may take a few "interviews" to find the right one, but he/she is out there for you.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Nancy

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-12-2008 - 1:18pm

Nancy, thanks so much for your reply :-)

My mom called me today and had found out I can get back on my parents' health insurance when I go back to being a full-time student- SO, now I'm going to be waiting til school is out in May to have the surgery, which I kinda wanted to get over with... BUT... because I'll be on my parents' health insurance plan, I get to go to the original FEMALE doctor I wanted in my hometown, whom my good friend went to for her BR and is highly recommended :-) AND, most likely the entire procedure (minus a copay) will be covered. :-D So I no longer have the stress of trying to find a doctor... and I know the procedure will be mostly covered... I just have to wait 6 months.... and have to go back to school from January-May with these huge boobs.... oh well..... when I return in the fall I'll be a whole new person ;-)

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-12-2008 - 3:20pm

Well that is great!!
And the time will really go fast. Before you know it, you will be rid of what I called "the beasts"!
Just think this time next year... you should be well healed and maybe treating yourself to a beautiful Victoria's Secret bra and panty set. That is what I did and I had tears in my eyes when I saw myself in something other than the ugly, white, minimizer bra, that didn't really "minimize"!!
Now you have lots of time to ask questions and be fully prepared.

Nancy

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-13-2008 - 2:15pm
I am so glad to read that things are starting to work out for you on the PS front. I

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board