Big Enough, Young Enough?

iVillage Member
Big Enough, Young Enough?
Tue, 11-18-2008 - 1:39am

I finally got brave and made an appointment with a plastic surgeon, whom I'll see in a few weeks.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2008 - 10:03am

You are not too old or too small. I am 50 and had my surgery last year. I weighed 190, 5'5" and wore a 40DD, but was actually a DDD, squished. I now weigh 162 and wear a 38C and what a huge difference!! I am a fairly healthy person and I think I healed very well and fast. I just had to watch overdoing it the first few weeks, but that would be with any age after surgery. It sounds to me that if you go through with the surgery, you will be so happy with your new body. You are at a great weight, (lucky you, I'm trying to get there myself)and you will be amazed at how clothes will fit. I now can wear medium tops and the buttons don't pop open and the sleeve length is good, etc....
When you meet with the PS, he/she can guide you as to what size would be good for you body. Insurance seems to be the biggest hurdle that many women face, so good luck to you with that. Hopefully it will go smoothly for you. My GYN wrote a wonderful recommendation letter for me to send to insurance. She knew the pain and suffering I was having each year and said I was perfect for the surgery.
Best wishes through this journey ~ it is all worth it!!!
There is a wonderful lady named Betty on these boards and I think she is 53, and had the surgery. I know she would love to share her experience with you. Hopefully she will be reading the posts.

Nancy

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2008 - 7:09pm
Nancy ~
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2008 - 8:47pm
Hi Cindy, I have three words for you GO FOR IT! You sound ready both physically and emotionally to me. I was 26 when I had my surgery and my PS receptionist joked during a visit how smart I was doing it so young since a lot of breast reduction patients in there 50's where saying how they should have had the surgery done 20 years ago. So I do not think 50 is a uncommon age for this surgery at all. Good

Katie :)

Community Leader- Breast Reduction Message Board

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-22-2008 - 9:34am

Hi,

I am about to turn 50 and seriously want to pursue a breast reduction.

Cassie
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-25-2008 - 9:57am

Hi csioux,

I went from a 38D to a 36B. You have to be thorough in your explanation of why you need the reduction. When I sat down to write mine out I was surprised at all the things I had done, support bras, strap padding, prescribed Imitrex migraine meds, heating pads, creams and lotions for those inevitable summer rashes. However you want to look at it, when I went in for my plastic surgeon consultation I had a flaming rash under both my girls. Did that help? Don't know but I was approved with no problem. Caution: Keep that approval letter because some insurance companies are shady. Good luck, Girl!